Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Epiphyllum oxypetalum

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ray, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Known generically as an "orchid cactus", an epiphyllum was the first plant I acquired for myself in college.

I went to a yard sale, and the gentleman selling it (erroneously) said "It's a night-blooming cereus that just bloomed. It only blooms every seven years, so it's got to go." It was a large, weird-looking plant in a 10" pot for 50 cents, so home it came.

It bloomed that summer and periodically thereafter, but was another victim of the "big freeze" that wiped out my 20-year orchid collection in 1994.

Fast forward to this spring, and Yug, a member here, posted a flower photo. I asked if he could send me a cutting, and about a week later, a single leaf arrived. (Thanks again!)

I half-filled a 4" pot with potting soil and jammed it in. It started growing a single stalk about 6 weeks later, and then the old leaf started forming a bud. I had no idea a plant this small could bloom!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

That is really beautiful.

3. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Lovely. These plants can grow into massive specimens with regular care. When I retire I plan to get one of those.

4. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

5. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I am going to give it a try as a bonsai plant.