Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Epidendrum magnoliae

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by goods, Jun 27, 2017.

1. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This species is the northernmost-occurring epiphytic orchid in terms of latitude in the New World (maybe worldwide). It appears there are at least two forms of this species, a southerly form from Florida and Mexico and a more northerly form that is native to Louisiana and the Gulf Coast. This form seems to be less robust in terms of bloom and plant size but is also extremely cold-tolerant. My plant is a division of a piece that was rescued off a magnolia tree set to be cut down. This is the first "presentable" blooming I've gotten.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

naoki and Kipper like this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Zach, I have one of the southern varieties that is currently struggling a bit. I can't quite figure out how much light it wants. Any suggestions?

3. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Kelly, I grow this one next to a Catt. aclandiae that blooms regularly, but I would say it's in the realm of bright shade. I've seen this local variety in habitat, and I can say that it doesn't get a ton of really bright, direct light. It's most often found on magnolia or live oak, both of which can be very dense (and evergreen).

With that said, a friend of mine in New Orleans grows the Mexican form wonderfully with little cover right next to a specimen of R. digbyana.