Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Encyclia plicata

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Marni, May 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I would be interested to know if anyone grows this and if so, what is the temperature range. Thanks.

2. fisx

fisx New Member

I find the Caribbean species E.plicata a tough, durable, and rewarding Encyclia to grow. it seems to be quite adaptable to various environmental conditions favoring mounts over pots, and in a warm, bright humid situation.

My nicest E. plicata is 6 years old, growing in an 8" basket in an exceptionally fast draining coco husk, hydroton, tree fern fiber mix . It thrives in with my mostly Brazilian Catts in close to the brightest location in my greenhouse

I rarely disagree with Cattleya tribe cultural information provided at the truly excellent website:

http://cattleyaorchidsource.blogspot.com/2010/03/encyclia-plicata-pleated-encyclia.html

"Additional Information: Encyclia plicata is a robust grower and does best mounted on a substantial tree branch. Provide ample water and fertilizer during periods of active growth and then allow the plant to rest by reducing water for a few months. Provide bright light, warmth, and humidity for best results. There is an alba form of the species."

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi fisx, welcome to OI and thanks for the information, that gives me the answers I needed.