Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dracula

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Forrest, Jan 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

Do you suppose that Dracula could live and thrive in an unheated GH in northern-central California? I know that is a pretty sweeping generalization, and I am going to do my own species by species research, I am just curious if anyone thinks that this could be fine.

2. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

Yes

3. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

heh.

Anyone that actually grows Dracula want to chime in?

4. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Hey Forrest, I am also hoping to try my hand at draculas later this year. I was just reading the cultural information Marni has in her eBay listing for her Dracula vampira. My understanding is that the low temperature ought not drop below 50°F (10°C). I do wonder if they will tolerate down to 45°F.

5. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

Thanks for the reply Morabeza. I have been growing Dracula for quite some time and am very familiar with their ideal conditions. What I am looking for here is some thoughts on how far I can push the envelope and still make it "worth it" to grow them.

I am looking at doing some "restructuring" and wondering what that will look like on the back end.

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Since you know your temperatures better than we do, what are you anticipating for average minimum and maximum?

7. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

Low 40's on average during the coldest months. Summers can be warm in the day, but nights are always cool. Not so worried about my highs. Just my lows.

8. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

My guess if your low in the gh is in the low 40's the ones from 2200m and up might be possible, might be fine. If your average low is low 40's (so some of the time it is high 30's) I would guess your success will be quite limited. Mine experience the low 40's for a night or two if the thermostat or heater malfunction, but that may be once a year or every other year. I've never tried any of my draculas in the 45F minimum house. One never knows until you try it. Before I moved to Santa Rosa I was told I would never be able to grow draculas here. Let us know how it works out.

9. Forrest

Forrest Really Neat

thanks Marni