Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dockrillia toressae

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by RustyExotics, Oct 10, 2018.

1. RustyExotics

RustyExotics - Nicholas

I think that sometimes pictures just don't show what makes certain plants so appealing, and this is one of those plant to me. When I first received it as a gift, I had absolutely no idea what conditions the plant liked or what the flower looked like or, honestly, anything about it at all. I looked up some pictures of it and thought "okay, that's pretty interesting," and read some articles on its culture, but besides that, I had always shied away from Dockrillia orchids.

There's something about this flower that pictures just can't capture; it's got its own "magic aura" that makes truly magnificent in person. The plant looks jumbled, forming large mats of textured, succulent leaves that grow all over the surface its permitted to grow on. This alone is interesting, but when the flowers form, it's just something special.

The small, creamy yellow flowers with a small, greenish column and lip form on top of the leaves, covering almost the entire leaf that it forms on. It opens up, but not fully, looking almost as if the flower itself is asking for a hug. If you peak into the opening of the flower, one can just barely make out immensely small spots covering the inside, hinting to the fact that an entire different world under the column and between the perianth.

It really is just something special... And I can't quite describe what it is that makes it so special to see in person. It's a feeling I believe that many miniature orchids tend to give; they hold so many secrets that are barely visable to the naked eye, so many complex, fine-tuned features that formed as a result of evolution, yet they manage so be so tiny, that many people may overlook the flower or even the entire plant unless they're specifically looking for them. It truly is phenomenal.

Although these pictures don't capture the amazing beauty of the flowers, I hope you all enjoy.

P1090871.JPG

P1090877.JPG

KellyW and Marni like this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't think I've ever read such a poetic description of such a tiny flower.

I like them too!

Kipper and RustyExotics like this.
  3. Rita-mo

Rita-mo Just One More Please

Very nice!