Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Disease - Sophronitis wittigiana and others

Discussion in 'Issues, Disease and Pests' started by Ricoleto, May 6, 2021.

1. Ricoleto

Ricoleto New Member

Hello!

I am with a problem with some of my orchids. Some white/black dots on the leaves. Sometimes they turn yellow and fall. The plant doensn´t die, but i can see they have many difficulties in the survival proccess. Could someone kindly help me to identify the disease and a solution for it?
    Sorry for the images, but I couldn´t focus well.

Thanks,

Ricoleto
    View attachment 45486 View attachment 45487 View attachment 45488 View attachment 45489 View attachment 45490 View attachment 45491 View attachment 45492 View attachment 45493 View attachment 45494

View attachment 45486 View attachment 45487

2. The Orchidomaniac

The Orchidomaniac Active Member

It could be a virus, in which case there is no solution. Are the flower colors strangely mottled or bleeding?

Ricoleto likes this.
  3. Ricoleto

Ricoleto New Member

Thanks for the reply! Sometimes they are normal, sometimes a little mottled.

4. The Orchidomaniac

The Orchidomaniac Active Member

Post a picture of some flowers. I'm pretty sure it has some sort of mosaic virus. They are not cureable. Burn the plants, and throw away the medium, pots, labels, and tools you used on them. Viruses spread via sap transfer, and thus sucking insects like aphids and dirty cutting implements are the ways they are transferred. There is nothing you can do except clean your tools between every plant you use them on and hope not all your orchids are infected.

Ricoleto likes this.
  5. J E

J E Jaime Escobedo

The first plant looks virused possibly. They look burnt honestly although it's most likely a disease.

Ricoleto likes this.
  6. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

These look like they are struggling with an infection. Either bacterial or fungal.

Do you plants get too much sun/light? It could be sunburn followed by a secondary infection.

J E and Ricoleto like this.
  7. Ricoleto

Ricoleto New Member

Thanks once again, The Orchidomaniac and also JE.
    I am posting photos of the flowers. There are photos from a Cattleya walkeriana, which the flowers seems ok to me, but in one photo we can see the leaves with white dots. Also a photo from the Sophronitos wittigiana (which I could find the right focus yet) and one of a hibrid. The flowers from the last 2 doesn´t look so healthy as the walkeriana.
    Just a little bit more info: A Isabelia violacea (my profil photo) and some Dendrobium who are living close to the infected plants look very healthy. I lost to this disease a Laelia liliputana which was severely affected. My Maxilaria minuta also doens´t seem to be affected (and has a nice clove smell from the small flowers!)

Cheers!
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Sabinchen likes this.
  8. Ricoleto

Ricoleto New Member

Hi Darlene!
    Yes, because they are in a tree which had to be cut a little lately, the sunlight probably exceeded the reccomendated level. But the tree is growing, and soon I think it will make more protection again.

9. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I am with Darlene that it is more likely a bacterial or fungal disease than a virus.

Can you get copper-based treatments in Brazil? If so, that would be my recommendation, as it treats both.

Considering you’re growing the plants outdoors, fungal spores will be everywhere, so it might not hurt to do a periodic spraying of the area with a disinfectant.

DarleneJay, DPfarr and J E like this.
  10. Ricoleto

Ricoleto New Member

Dear Ray,

Thank you for your message. Yes, I have access to copper-based treatments here. I will try it first before destroying the orchids. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers!

11. Roberta

Roberta Active Member

Damage on the flower looks like you might also have an issue with insect damage. Doesn't look like viral color break. I am inclined to agree with Darlene and Ray that the leaf damage is fungal or sunburn or some combination, and that maybe insects might also be involved.

Ricoleto and J E like this.
  12. Ricoleto

Ricoleto New Member

So many things to take care! Thanks!