Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Disa uniflora (Peach)

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, Jul 9, 2019.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I got two D. uniflora seedlings from Wally Orchard in February of last year. Both spiked this spring—this one is the first to bloom, and is the more vigorous of the two clones. It had 3 growths when I got it, and now it's 13 or 14. The flower is about 3½" across.

It's growing in 50% chopped sphag/50% fine perlite, covered in about ½" of gravel to help keep moss growth in check. Disas are very sensitive to dissolved salts in water, so unless you have very good tap water or use RO water, growing them will probably be difficult. Luckily NYC tapwater has a very low TDS—I measure less than 70 straight from the tap and put water in gallon jugs before I use it to let any chlorine evaporate.

I'm growing it in medium light, intermediate to cool. I water nearly every day and fertilize very lightly once or twice a month.

I suspect the other seedling will be far more reddish, as the bud has a lot more red coloration than this one did even though it's probably at least a week and a half away from blooming. I think I'll call this clone 'Peach Fizz'.

Disa uniflora 'Peach Fizz'.jpg Disa uniflora 'Peach Fizz' flower.jpg Disa uniflora 'Peach Fizz' flower (side).jpg Disa uniflora 'Peach Fizz' closeup.jpg

DarleneJay, DanaRaluca, Marni and 2 others like this.
  2. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Stunning!!

3. Pitter

Pitter New Member

Agree, a stunning flower.

4. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Amazing photos

5. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Now with both flowers open. The first flower grew a bit more, now about 3¾" wide. Also included a photo next to the other first bloom seedling.

DIsa uniflora 'Peach Fizz' 07.20.19.jpg Disa uniflora 'Peach Fizz' flowers 07.20.19.jpg Disa uniflora comparison.jpg

wpinnix likes this.