Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Diodonopsis (Masdevallia) pygmea.

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Pontus_Sweden, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Pontus_Sweden

Pontus_Sweden Active Member

Diodonopsis (Masdevallia) pygmea.

A tiny species that´s quite hard to get to flower.

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8335_8136955396_a01396d27a_b.jpg

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8331_8136957216_3d476d551e_b.jpg

2. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Tiny indeed and I love the growths...I bought one this past March and it is also in bloom at the moment...
    BTW, Great photos!

3. ezil

ezil Member

Could you gentlemen please share some culture tips? I got one in June and it shows no sign of buds. What are the temps. and light that you give it?
    Pontus: those pictures are beautiful!

4. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I grow mine under bright shade, perhaps 1200FC. Temperature range is 55-75F.

Pontus should have more details on the culture since he has been growing this one longer than I have.

5. Pontus_Sweden

Thank you both!!! :D

I grow mine i very light conditions. Between 15 and 30 cm under my Osram Dulux 80Watt lamps. I grow them all (Have now 6 plants) on Xaxim with a lot of moss. They need a lot of humidity but the flowers must not become wet to long.
    I have one plant that is growing on a big Xaxim trunk with a lot of moss and other orchid sp and that one hash´t flowered. It grows 135 cm below the lamps. So I think this sp needs some sun/light to be happy.

I have mist during mid day in the vivaria from about 12.00 to 19.00. And a couple of showers a day. Cool air from outside from 21.00 hrs to about 04.00 hrs.
    The temperatures now in winter here in Sweden I have Max temp of about +19°C and min Temp gets down to around +12°C. In summer I have hard to get lower temp but this sp seems to like it then. Then my Max temp can be +25° down to +14°C. Depending how bad the summer is ;)

I have seen then in Costa Rica in the wild. The grew up in a exposed tree. Lot´s of rain and fog. The winds were making that area very very humid. But as it grows very exposed there it dries up quite fast.
    Were I saw this sp is in the Tapanti mountains. I can give you the exact position if you ever go to Costa Rica. Easy to find :D

Maybe your plant need some more time to start flowering. Be patient and one day soon you will enjoy some flowers.
    In what conditions do you grow your plant?

6. Pontus_Sweden

Here are some pictures from the area were I saw the plants. I took almost no pictures here because the weather was horrible. Sooooo much rain and fog and I was by my self in the forest. So I was focused on finding my way in the fog.
    Next time I will go up there and take some plant photos as there were many interesting sp up there.

afarm6.staticflickr.com_5030_5594921953_f350655655_b.jpg
    Up on this ridge at about 1700 meters I found a lot of D pygmea plants. The were growing many meters up in a tree.

afarm6.staticflickr.com_5049_5236430256_a769714375_b.jpg
    The only time it didn't pour down rain. This area gets over 7000mm rain/year. So it´s wet!

7. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Did I understand right, that this is the only time during day/night, when there is fresh air intake to the growing tank? Thanks for culture tips!

8. Kermie

Kermie Tadpole Supporting Member

Cryptic little guy. Thanks for all the info :)

9. ezil

ezil Member

Thank you Tom and Pontus. My little plant did seem happy, but I've changed its position. I had it growing in +/- 70% r.h., but I've moved it to an aquarium, where it sits on a wire cookie sheet about 3 cm. above the water, and close to the "fountain". I have recently acquired LED lights and so far my other pleurothallids seem to love it. Temps. are 19 - 22deg. C in the day. I hope it will now thrive.