Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrophylax (Polyradicion) lindenii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Lika[Sweden], Mar 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Lika[Sweden]

Lika[Sweden] Svenska

Mikael has finaly done it! And we got to see this myth surrounded orchid in person. It measures 14 cm from top to bottom!
    It sure is something unique and to see it live in-situ must be something very special.

6312285890_803cb9db72_z.jpg
    6312287870_0e8351a4e4_z.jpg

Angraecoid get together - Angraecum conchoglossum / Dendrophylax lindenii
    6315263960_6a1925b3d1_z.jpg

Lika
    6312285890_803cb9db72_z.jpg 6312287870_0e8351a4e4_z.jpg 6315263960_6a1925b3d1_z.jpg

2. This_guy_Bri

This_guy_Bri weirdo

cool!

3. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Congratulations to Mikael, that is a great accomplishment! I live within miles of this one's natural habitat, and I've killed every one I've ever purchased.

4. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Gorgeous! Love the ghost orchids. Well done!

5. Chris

Chris New Member

Excellent!!!!

6. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Congratulations to you and Mikael. Blooming this species is truly something special. I've seen it only once in person, and it was an awesome sight. Do you have any special tricks to grow this, or is it treated like the other plants in your collection?

7. Lika[Sweden]

Lika[Sweden] Svenska

Thanks all. Our 5 year old even brought it with her to kindergarden to show her friends there, they did not understand it... :))

8. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

well done!

9. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Excellent job - maybe you should cross those two and see what happens lol (blasphemy)

10. norman.cash

norman.cash New Member

how do you grow?

11. theLab

theLab Member Supporting Member

would interest me either. We sometimes grow them inflasked but when giving them away people often report the plants have died off soon after deflasking them. I think a high humidity seems important as warmth, too, but no idea concerning the facts light & watering.

12. stefpix

stefpix Member

Couldn't be grown on a stick in one of those glass jars with a glass lid and O-Ring? I grow some small pieces that need ICU and works for a Tolumnia that was drying and dying and now has totally bounced back and a Bulbophyllum, a Vanilla seedling. Maybe in such a terrarium some live Sphagnum would keep mold at bay ( I use H2O2 once in awhile and have no mold/ fungus)

13. theLab

what´s ICU, Stefpix?

14. stefpix

stefpix Member

intensive care, in this case a glass enclosure like a terrarium to keep humidity high. Sometimes it works!

15. theLab

thanks

16. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Super fantastic!! :clap: :clap:

17. MiKa

MiKa Active Member Supporting Member

Thank you all and thank you Jacob for finding this thread. I can now answer how I grow this and what observations I have made about it.

I grow it intermediate(on the cooler side) in the greenhouse. It gets medium light. I water with rain or osmosis water each second or third day. The plant hanfgs at a place in the greenhouse where the air movement is not direct on it. Average humidity is 80%.

The plant grows in one period of the year for me. Beginning in March when light returns here and continues over the summer to September. I think one key factor is to have just a little air movement to avoid to dehydrate the plant since its only storage for water is the roots.
    But in the same time you have to look out for water staying to long around it. Where I have seen this plants in situ (Hispaniola)they grow in semi shade on twigs, lianas and thin branches. They seem to rescent to get attached on to any substrate and grows best when roots are exposed in free air (only one or two roots secure the plant).
    I dont think a warm growing situation is needed since I have grown this plant intermediate for 5 or 6 years now.

I hope this can help a little.

/ Mikael

18. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Mikael, may I inquire as to minimum night temperature your greenhouse experiences in winter and summer?

How wonderful that you saw these in Hispaniola! According to the Kew Monocot Checklist's records, Dendropnhylax lindenii is only found in Florida, Bahamas and in Cuba while its close relative and look-alike relative D. sallei is endemic to Hispaniola. I suspect you saw sallei there and not lindenii?

19. vmijct

vmijct Clif

wow!

20. MiKa

MiKa Active Member Supporting Member

Jacob - The temps in the greenhouse is

Summer day - 22-27°C, night 14-18°C
    Winter day - 18-22°C, night 12-14°C