Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrophylax funalis

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, Feb 5, 2020.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't have much luck with most genera of leafless orchids. This species is the only one with which I've had long term success. This particularly plant took three years to settle in before deciding to bloom.

Flowers are about 1½" tall, with 2½" long nectaries that are nearly longer than the spike itself. They are slightly "fragrant," but as others have noted, not very pleasantly (sperm).

Daily watering, but it's dry in a few hours. Bright light, intermediate to warm. I trim the Spanish moss around twice a year.

Dendrophylax funalis.jpg Dendrophylax funalis flowers.jpg Dendrophylax funalis flowers (side).jpg

2. W. Malewa

W. Malewa Member

Beautiful pictures and flowers! Here we have some other leafless species of the genus Microcoelia, but all with rather small flowers and in flower only for a short time. Already any idea for how long the flowers last?

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations!!!

4. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

That's awesome! I wasn't aware the plants could bloom at that size; it's much smaller than I had assumed.

5. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've tried Microcoelia, but they decline over time for me. I believe the flowers of D. funalis last for a few weeks, but it's been years since I had one in bloom. It's been open for about 10 days so far.

6. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Wonderful photos of a fantastic species

7. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Very nice! I've tried a few species of Dendrophylax, but they don't last.... The only growable one is D. porrectus, but it doesn't seem to flower ever...