Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobiums from grocery store

Discussion in 'Orchid Identification Section' started by Chalti, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Chalti

Chalti New Member

Hi! Got two plants today from the most remote corner of the plant section of local grocery store. They have tag as Dendrobium, so af least it is a start. Even though the exact tag would be nice, I am more interested in identification in relation to care for these orchids. So far I have only D. bigibum, but I am not sure these require the same care.. So please help out :)

Attached Files:

J E likes this.
  2. The Orchidomaniac

The Orchidomaniac Orchid Nerd

It is worse than a start
    Those are Epidendrums, not Dendrobiums. They definitely have some E. radicans in them. I never find anything other than Phals, Zygos, and Oncidiums in stores.

3. Chalti

Chalti New Member

haha, wonderful i also thought that stem looks not very Dendrobium-ish

I lately find all kinds of orchids in that store, I wonder where they get them from... my catch so far is: two miltoniopsis with tags Miltonia, some kind of zygopetalum, Cambria odontoglossum (that's the tag) with red dying flowers that smell like gouache, d. bigibum.... each for 6 eur / 7$

4. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

Hey...
    I have epidendrum too. Here is mine

Attached Files:

J E likes this.
  5. The Orchidomaniac

My guess is that your Dendrobium is not D. bigibbum but rather a phalaenopsis-type Dendrobium hybrid. Stores nearly never sell species. Still, all the plants here are $15+

6. Chalti

Chalti New Member

yes, maybe. Looks more like one of Sa-nook Dendrobiums, actually... I just like to think it is that

Attached Files:

7. Chalti

Chalti New Member

hi! Beautiful plants! I haven't had any until now, time to read....

8. The Orchidomaniac

I'm pretty sure D. bigibbum has red or pink flowers... Definitely a hybrid. You should try purchasing a real one. I think Andy has some.

9. Chalti

Chalti New Member

I am placed in Denmark, so buying any plants from outside of EU zone is one big headache... But we have good nurseries in Germany, Nederlands and Belgium, so I think it is possible to find it :)

10. Arne

Arne Member

Is Hans Christiansen still selling plants? I used to buy from him when I lived in Sweden some 20 years ago.

11. Chalti

Chalti New Member

16197731738922306859163130006272.jpg
    yes, he is :) he is actually the only one in Denmark with a garden center with a big selection of orchids, I have bought from him a couple of times now, and I always get a nice little bonus orchid :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021