Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium violaceum var. cyperifolium

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Chuck-NH, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

I got this plant a few years back from Cindy Hill. It seems to fit the description and is certainly pendant in form. I do note that it has been quite slow in growth compared to regular forms of violaceum that I have and this is its first blooming for me and with just one bloom. Would be interesting to know if it is found in a different habitat or elevation than the type variety?

797FCF34-E3DB-46D0-AC01-850084158DA9.jpeg
    8EF4E80D-774C-4458-A5C3-F850C6265288.jpeg

J E, wpinnix, Raven and 4 others like this.
  2. Mat Brutger

Mat Brutger New Member

Gorgeous, love that form! Keep growing it out so you can share with the rest of us!

Chuck-NH likes this.
  3. Chuck-NH

Will try...hopefully it will start growing faster now that it is starting to get some size.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Years ago I was trying to find information about this plant. I asked Peter O'Byrne if he could tell me anything about it. Was it just thin leaves? Was it being pendant? I can't find his reply in my emails, but the essence of it was they didn't distinguish this from the regular form in the field. I remember that they weren't in distinct colonies but they would be found along with the regular form.

There were some plants that came to the Bay Area from Irian Jaya some years ago. They were difficult to maintain. They seemed to bloom for the first year or two and then go downhill. Not just my experience but others also found the same. I made an outcross and still have a couple of the seedlings. If I get them to bloom again I will attempt to set seed.

Mat Brutger likes this.
  5. Chuck-NH

Thanks Marni, I wonder if my plant may have been from the Bay Area plants since I got it from Cindy Hill? Mine struggled for the first 3-4 years and nearly died before it finally started growing. The only thing I changed was to keep a little dryer in the winter as that was when it was loosing foliage to what seemed to be a bacterial rot.

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I would be very surprised if it was not from the same shipment. I haven't tried keeping them drier in the winter. I'll try one this year. I did try growing one in the warm house, but moved it back to intermediate. The plants were adult plants that came in. Some were darker and some were lighter, but they all looked pretty similar.