Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium victoria-reginae

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, May 27, 2020.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I got this plant about 3 months ago, so I can't really take credit for the flowers. Took it out of the pot and mounted it, it's been growing new roots for a while now. The flowers are a bit less than 2" wide.

I was aware that if this plant is shipped in bloom, the flowers will turn pink then go back to violet-indigo after it's back in the light for a few hours. I wasn't aware that the color varies by time of day as well. First 3 photos were taken around 1:30 PM. The last photo was taken about 7 hours later. It's not temperature or light doing it. We've had some mostly abnormally cool weather this May along with a day or two way above normal. Didn't make any difference in the color change. The flowers start going from indigo to violet after 2 PM (starting in the central vein of the flower) and by 6 or 7 are pretty much violet. In the morning the color change seems to start before the lights go on at 8 AM and is back to indigo by around 10 AM.

Intermediate, let it dry out a little in winter, will be keeping it quite moist in summer. Growing in bright shade.

Dendrobium victoria-reginae.jpg Dendrobium victoria-reginae flowers.jpg Dendrobium victoria-reginae flower.jpg Dendrobium victoria-reginae flower_evening.jpg

2. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

Beautiful

3. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Amazing color-changing. I didn't know they can do this. It almost look like a different plant :)

4. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I now think this plant does need cooler temps at some point during the night to get that indigo color. In May when this started blooming, it was getting night temps in the high to mid 50s. Now I've had to put in the window AC, though on cooler nights I use an exhaust fan to bring in cool air. It's now getting night temps in the mid to low 60s. It doesn't get nearly as bluish as before, though there is still variation during the day.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020