Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium vexillarius

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Vladimir O, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Vladimir O

Vladimir O Member

This one is a giant in comparison with the rest of my miniatures. I’ve read somewhere there’s a compact form of vexillarius. Does anyone know if anybody in the US has it for sale?

Attached Files:

J E and Fereydoon like this.
  2. Alex Shepack

Alex Shepack Active Member

Very nice!

The most compact form I've seen is what Andy sells as var. retroflexum, but I wouldn't say it's much smaller than this. I'd definitely be curious to hear about a smaller one!

3. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

That one actually looks fairly compact, but I suppose it’s still young. Alex, retroflexum is the “blue” one that Andy has and I thought it was rather leggy. He had a fairly compact uncinatum with very red foliage. He also has one labeled albiviride that is very small, but it is a sulphureum. Here is a photo of a very compact clone that I got at Redlands about 5 or so years ago. Has not grown any taller than this.

F183E79F-1AD0-4A35-BA9B-F3DB00F8BFA8.jpeg

J E and Alex Shepack like this.
  4. Vladimir O

Vladimir O Member

nice plant! I believe the compact variety I’ve seen had orange flowers and was labeled as Den. vexillarius var. macrophlepharbis (I probably misspelled it) it looks very similar to yours, just darker flowers. I do like how compact yours is

J E likes this.
  5. Chuck-NH

Hi Vladimir,

I have a few variety microblepharum and they seem a little more compact than the typical (pink) uncinatum, but still get fairly big. A couple photos below are from two years ago…and the plants are a bit bigger now. The last one is a peachy microblepharum which is a bit more compact than the orange and red.
    39EEA4FB-CE05-44A6-BFE7-310E28DCAED2.jpeg 973DD525-0E70-4AFC-9075-93EA475DF838.jpeg 736C9122-F3A8-46C0-A375-CC20723C5A8F.jpeg

J E and Fereydoon like this.
  6. Alex Shepack

Alex Shepack Active Member

Chuck - you're spot on. I confused var. retroflexum and var. microblepharum in my head. I was thinking of Andy's red var. microblepharum.
    Yours are looking fantastic!!

Chuck-NH likes this.
  7. Vladimir O

Vladimir O Member

Chuck-NH likes this.
  8. Chuck-NH

I haven’t really noticed about the orientation of the light. I grow in a greenhouse in a relatively northern latitude, so much of the year the natural light is from the side, but it is weaker as well. I just find the most light you can give them without cooking them seems to work. I use no shade at all for the vexillarius and the last two winters I have augmented with an overhead LED. So far I haven’t seen any reduction in size, but maybe denser growth. Here are two more photos of plants getting the real bright treatment…the orange microblepharum is definitely more full than the previous photo of it two which was two years ago.

1F86EBA7-4176-4445-9761-DD834B02EB80.jpeg

5AE4DF34-9626-4BF0-912C-AC6DD4358842.jpeg

J E, Fereydoon, DPfarr and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mat Brutger

Mat Brutger Active Member

Chuck that peach clone is amazing!

Chuck-NH likes this.
  10. Chuck-NH

Thank you Mat…I believe I got that one years ago at the POE from Dan Newman of Hanging Gardens.

J E and Mat Brutger like this.
  11. Vladimir O

Vladimir O Member

I definitely noticed that they need very bright light. I grow most of my PNG dendrobiums mright under LED grow lights and they get a few hours of sunlight in the afternoon as well.

J E likes this.