Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium vexillarius

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Chuck-NH, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Hi All, First new thread I’ve posted in a long time. This is a first bloom plant that was imported a couple years ago as a yellow Dendrobium vexillarius. Has anyone seen one with this coloration? I wonder if it could be a cross between two different varieties? In some light, I see a bit of “blue” at the base, suggesting some retroflexum influence? Also seems to be shorter (2-3 inches tall) than my other clones of various varieties.

3FE02159-E008-4A87-8576-F2A48A67AE35.jpeg

2. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

It is an interesting color (difficult to describe)! It would be interesting to see the color of its offspring, but you don't have two individuals of this color, do you?

3. Chuck-NH

Hi Naoki, No, I don’t have another. I received it from Far East Agriculture and would like to get another, but have not seen any list from them for 9 months or so and no replies to emails.

Chuck

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I bought a number of plants over several years labeled "yellow". All of them were chunky, small stature plants like yours. They were all a peach color and quite easy to grow. I have some seedlings coming along and now wonder/hope some of the progeny will come out colored differently.

5. Chuck-NH

Great to hear that Marni and looking forward to photos. I do remember you posted a photo with yellow blooms...is that different than the peachy plants?

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Chuck, I never got a true yellow from the group. Here is a link to one of them.

Chuck-NH likes this.
  7. Chuck-NH

Thanks Marni...that’s the one I remember and I love the color no matter what it’s called!