Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium vexillarius var. uncinatum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Chuck-NH, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Here is a nice pink clone that I have had for about a year. I also like the dark foliage.

A155D70A-909E-4FE2-9CCF-F3311D862A80.jpeg

ED2BE4D4-3B57-4E6A-81C9-26C2D3393398.jpeg

Lauren B., Cor van Honk, rico and 3 others like this.
  2. Raven

Raven Active Member

Stunning!
    Got one of those last week as well.

3. Gerrit

Gerrit Well-Known Member

A real beauty! Is that foliage so dark because it gets a lot of light?

4. Chuck-NH

It is slightly darker being in full sun, but it is grown side by side with other clones that show no or very little pigmentation. Also interesting is that the exposure to sun did nothing to the flower color, while clones of var. microblepharum darken and intensify the orange/red flower color when in full sun (even though their leaves stayed green).

5. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

It is a nice looking plant overall. So healthy! The darker foliage helps the flower really pop.

6. Lauren B.

Lauren B. New Member

I got one of these a few months ago,any growing tips appreciated.Mine was just sitting there until a couple weeks ago,when I started watering it was and chilling it more drastically at night.Now I have alot of new green growth,which I thought were buds,because it started in the old leafless canes first,but I see your spikes are leafless.Any ideas on how I can get it to bloom.Also,I was fertilizing with MSU,but I saw it has CoSu,which I believe you aren't supposed to use on Dendrobiums,what do you use?

7. Chuck-NH

Hi Lauren, they bloom off the leafless as well as those still with leaves (attached a photo showing that with two other clones). For me, I find that very bright light and cool nights bring out the best blooming. Under my conditions that would be no shade cloth and low 50s F at night. They are watered every sunny day year round and get very good air movement so are generally dry by Mid-late afternoon.

The only time that I have seen decline is when individual plants stay too moist during warm, humid evenings of midsummer.

I use rain water about 90% of the time and still use MSU. I cut the dosage in half and augment with CalMag. I do plan on switching to K-Lite in the near term (once I use up the MSU).
    C2F6BB61-DBEF-48B3-BE73-4B0A3D43C934.jpeg

Lauren B. likes this.
  8. Lauren B.

Lauren B. New Member

Doesn't look like you need to change a thing...I am drooling in envy now...thanks so much,I think I can do that.