Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium trantuanii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Marni, Apr 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

This Vietnamese species was decribed in 2003. Long-lasting flowers and interesting foliage make this a nice plant at any time of year. The flowers started opening at the end of March. There are still more buds coming. The flowers are a bit over 2" wide.

amarniturkel.com_oi_d.trantuan.9714.stack.close.jpg

amarniturkel.com_oi_d.tran.flowers.jpg

amarniturkel.com_oi_d.tran.growth1.jpg

amarniturkel.com_oi_d.tran.plant.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  2. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

This is one of the largest and best grown trantuaniis I have ever seen

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Stunning, Marni. I must get one.

4. Marni

Thanks, Calvin. One of the fun things about growing a species I don't know is to see what it can do and to find a way to show it at its best. So far I've been growing this for 7 years.

MrSplinter likes this.
  5. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Another spectacular Dendrobium! Marni, was it all these years in pot? My is mounted and during three years no attempt to bloom. Perhaps it is too dry.

6. Marni

Alexey, I've grown quite a few clones and none of them did well mounted. Mounted they just sat and did nothing. The mounted attempts were at 50F minimum so maybe that was it. This one (and the other equivalent sized plant) have both been grown potted since I got them. This one is in a 4" pot growing in an open, fine bark mix (the same I use for many plants). Since the weight of the flowers tend to bow down the pseudobulbs as they get longer, I set it in basket and hung it up so it wouldn't be falling all over its neighbors. It grows hanging from a cattleya basket so it is in moderately bright light and gets watered on the same schedule as the cattleyas. I'm sure this dries or is almost dry before it is watered again.

7. MiKa

MiKa Active Member Supporting Member

Nearly speachless!

8. Alexey

Thanks Marni, for sharing cultural info for this relatively new species. Shortly after receiving my plant, I have contacted Leonid Averianov, who described it as Dendrobium tuananhii. His climate data was very helpful, but it is not enough for success just to follow Mother Nature :( Mounted vs potted can make huge difference.

9. Marni

5 or 6 years ago, I hosted Leonid for a few days while he was speaking in the SF Bay Area. His comment on my D trantuanii was that it was a bad color. He said they should be a "normal green" and made a sweeping gesture with his hand indicating the whole collection . When I said that every one I had seen had this same grey-green foliage he said they weren't that way in situ. I had several clones in different location in the greenhouses and every time he saw one, he commented on the bad color and that they looked sick. So I wonder, has anyone seen a clone with dark green foliage?

10. Alexey

5-6 years ago it would be only 2-3 years after species discovery in 2004. Doubt, if information at that time covered all aspects of variability. My plant has light-grayish-green foliage as well. Only at the beginning of new pseudobulb growth I would name its leaves as “normal” green.

11. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Wondeful!!

12. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Amazing specimen, Marni! My mounted plant grows and blooms okay but after seeing this I'm going to pot it. The foliage on mine looks the same color though it probably gets far less light, water, and fertilizer than yours.

13. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Fabulous specimen, Marni!! The photos are gorgeous and the macro shot is really nice! The hanging basket is a great idea.

14. Boytjie

Boytjie Out hiking Supporting Member

Mine is also light green to grayish-green. FWIW, I've never seen one with darker foliage for sale in any of the vendor greenhouses I've visited. -Stephen