Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium tobaense

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Marni, Oct 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Any blooming of this species is an event for me. d.tobaense.close7979.jpg

2. Boytjie

Boytjie Out hiking Supporting Member

Beautiful. How do you encourage this one to grow (and retain) more than one root? For the time I kept it alive, I found that was an even bigger challenge than blooms. -Stephen

3. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

love it! Never dare to even look for it yet, but one day - must have it ;-P

4. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is an event. Congratulations! My Den tobaense passed this year without blooming, but at least it is still alive.

5. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

Excellent job Marrni. I grew these a few years ago when I was much more limited in my understanding of Dendrobiums. Even since, I have not figured it out completely. Most plants that are available are in hideous condition and if not they are freshly imported. Everything after the first season is difficult. The most troubling part aside from establishing roots are the VERY thin canes near the base. I often would grow a few and then rot them right off. Every Thai grower I know says straight Sphag in clay.

What is your culture treatment for winter? I'm thinking about round 2.

6. Marni

I am growing mine in medium bark in a net pot. It sits on the bench and is watered on the same cycle as other potted plants. So it dries pretty quickly and remains dry for a few days before watering again. I haven't been giving it a dry winter. I tried that some years ago with no success. If you grow in a very small, terra cotta pot with sphagnum, you might have the same effect of drying quickly. A friend who grows hers much better than I do grows them mounted. There should be some coming in flask in the next couple of years and, hopefully, those will be easier.

7. Sivad

Sivad Member

Yes, I was pleased with mine when it bloomed many years ago - beginner's luck ? - then for some reason, it soon died... Your succes makes me feel like trying again.

8. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

Thanks Marni. It does not surprise me that you have had success with a different method. I will have to pick up another and try again. I didn't grow many mounted plants a few years ago so I will do what you have and see how it goes.

9. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Beautiful. The dangling part of the lip reminds me of the beard of one of the persian generals in the movie 300, the one that loses his head, literally.

Marni likes this.
  10. chrismende

chrismende Waaaay too many! Supporting Member

Marni, I have a Dend. tobaense that has been dwindling after a couple years of blooming. It still has live small growths at the base, but it is in clay/sphag with my Masdevallias in my coolest area. I suspect I'm keeping it too wet. Sounds as if I should move it over by the Odonts that I keep drier, repot it to make sure it's fresh moss and smallest clay pot I think will do, or mount it. Am I on the right track?

11. Marni

Chris, I would grow it warmer and a bit brighter than odonts. I'm not sure the roots are going to like being in the moss. I don't know if they photosynthesize through the roots, but I think the roots prefer to be out and free. They go through the bark and out through the holes in the net pot. Cindy Hill grows her's mounted and they do well.