Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium tetragonum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Jgrimm1055, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jgrimm1055

Jgrimm1055 Jonathan loves Masdevallias!

My Dendrobium tetragonum opened up today... I'm a big fan of this one... Strong fragrance and the flowers hold up a long time... Very easy to grow and bloom in my opinion... Have it in my orchidarium or viviarium or whatever you would like to call it lol... It's mounted and growing like a weed. Definitely recommend getting... I think there are few variations of this species. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Nice, I love this plant... Cool lip on yours too.

3. Jgrimm1055

Thank you! When I bought it the picture they had posted was different... I actually like this flower more then what was posted.. Lololol

4. Shells3331

Shells3331 New Member

How do you grow yours

5. Jgrimm1055

In a orchidarium... About 12 inches from T5 HO lights.. My temperature range is low 55F high 76F...sometimes I get close to 80F... Humidity between 80% and 90%...its mounted so I water daily... 1/4 strength fertilizer almost every watering.

6. Dave The Scientist

Dave The Scientist Active Member

Thats fantastic! How big do these get? I may have to get one.

7. Jgrimm1055

There are a few variations.. Mine is on the smaller size..

In "Dendrobium and it's Relatives" by Lavarack et al they have the D.tetragonum complex as

D.tetragonum var. tetragonum
    D.tetragonum var. cactua (syn var.hayesianum)
    D.tetragonum var. giganteum
    D.tetragonum var. melaleucaphyllum

D.tetragonum var. tetragonum is a "small epiphyte (p.bulbs up to 40cm) in costal areas..... grows from sea level to 1000m in rainforest and stream bank forests in shaded positions. Flowers up to 5cm in length.

D.tetragonum var. cactua (p.bulbs up to 60cm) grows from 800m in upland areas rainforests and stream bank forests in shaded positions. Varies from var. giganteum mainly in the colour of the flowers. Flowers up to 10cm in length.

D.tetragonum var. giganteum as var.cactua but from lowlands to 700m, P.bulbs up to 50cm. Flowers up to 10cm in length but the record is 17cm!

D.tetragonum var. melaleucaphyllum grows in lowland swampy costal areas. P.bulbs up to 30cm. Flowers have a more widley flared mid-lobe of the lip. Flowers up to 10 but usually around 7cm in length.

Cultivation: best mounted grow in predominantly shady conditions in intermediate temp with high humidity, water being reduced through winter/ early spring. Culture for all of the others is the same, but a note for D.tetragonum var. giganteum says it should be given warmer temps than the others in the complex.

This is some information I found. Hope this helps.... Definitely recommend the orchid it's lovely!

8. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Looks like a alien. Love it!

9. Dave The Scientist

Dave The Scientist Active Member

Thanks for the info Jonathan.

10. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Really like this book. Nice resource.