Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium sulphureum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Chuck-NH, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

I should start out this thread with...” a vexing vexillarius problem” followed by, “Don’t blindly trust what’s on the tag”. :eek:

The first photo is of a plant labeled D. vexillarius var. albiviride. This is a very small, tufted plant with red tinted foliage. The key for D. vexillarius indicates var albiviride should be the largest variety of the species. The second photo shows a comparison with a typical D. vexillarius var microblepharum...size is significantly smaller with shape differences as well.

26439A66-9AC6-4BA5-8E0A-2B6EB66C4ED7.jpeg

A796BE93-67E3-45FE-8FDC-08C32A24FB2F.jpeg

I believe this to be D. sulphureum, but perhaps a different variety than my other two plants of that species (photos below). Blooms are very similar in shape and size although the two below retain a white color while the plant pictured in the first photo above will age to more of a yellow. The foliage also stays tufted and red (no matter the light conditions) on the first plant, while the other two clones are always green with a larger stature caused by an an ascending growth pattern. Some day, I will try to key out the D. sulphureum clones, but not as easy as vexillarius.

8E510D92-1513-47D0-B14B-ABD6A34B6785.jpeg

66E1EBDA-A87D-4642-983A-2ECF7FA4DF4E.jpeg
    D56A01F8-FBDC-4DD2-ACCA-9E7654BB33B6.jpeg

2. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

:clap:

3. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Stunning and my favorite type of orchids! Love your collection Chuck!

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

The pink leaves look pretty. My D. sulphureum has a touch of red (and reddish pseudobulbs), but not as pretty as yours (link).

5. Raven

Raven Active Member

Very nice!
    Surprisingly Ecuagenera lists it as a warm grower..

6. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Thanks all! Yes Raven, I see that temperature listings for orchids in general often vary based on the vendor. If it’s a plant I’m unfamiliar with, I often try to check more than one source for information. Many times I find the information on the forum based on members personal experiences.

7. Raven

Raven Active Member

Yeah, I know, that's what I usually do as well. My question is more like, if that vendor has more warmth-tolerant clones or not. I killed a bunch of seedlings of D. sulphureum when I moved to the Midwest last summer.

8. Roberta

Roberta New Member

They also list Cattleya (Laelia) purpurata as a "warm grower" ... I say to Ivan "Don't tell MY plants!" which are very happy in my southern California back yard, fortunately they can't read.