Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium sulphureum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, Sep 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I got this in spring 2015 from Far East Agriculture Orchids. This is the first time blooming under my care, but it is a good start! The flower is long lasting as with the other species of section Oxyglossum. I think the flower opened about 3 months ago, and it still look nice (the photos were taken in July). A link to my related blog post (only 1 extra photo, and not much additional info, though).

[​IMG]
    Dendrobium sulphureum
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Dendrobium sulphureum
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Dendrobium sulphureum
    on Flickr

Please freely copy and use them for whatever under CC-BY-SA license.

Pixietoe and jai like this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Really nice plant. Is the orange structure the lip or column?

3. Josh H

Josh H Member

Congratulations on a wonderful first blooming! This is one that I've been keeping my eyes open for. I'm assuming you grow this in the cool temperature range. Any other cultural tips based on your set-up?

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice Naoki!

5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Thank you all. Kelly, I think it is the lip, but to be honest I didn't look it in detail. In the 2nd photo (front shot) in the blog, the green column can be seen under the red lip in the bottom flower.

Josh, it is growing in the same box as a Masdevallia racemosa, and I listed details of the environment in this post (link). But you are probably much more experienced with Oxyglossum! Temp is constant 68F day, and constant 50F night. I have another which is mounted with a bit of sphag. But potted one seems to grow a bit faster under my condition. But the difference could be due to the slight difference in the amount of light.

6. Josh H

Josh H Member

It's interesting that you mention the difference in growth rate between the two plants, based on their pot/mount status. I believe that a number of Oxyglossum varieties behave similarly, notably D. subuliferum, D. pentapterum, and D violaceum. I'm sure they can all be grown mounted, but they seem to like the consistent moisture at the roots that is easier to maintain when potted. I'm sure Marni would have plenty of experience with the two approaches for this section of Dendrobiums.

7. Josh H

Josh H Member

By the way, Naoki, I followed the link to see your culture information and I was curious to learn more about the use of aspirin tablets for treating a stressed plant. I've never heard of this approach before. What specifically are you treating and how does the aspirin help?

8. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Josh, I use it if there is an early sign of infection by bacteria or fungi. Or when I think received plants could be stressed out (e.g. slight dehydration). It is a kind of stress (SOS) hormone, which signals other cells to get ready for stressful situation (this might be a bit of an oversimplification). But I wouldn't use it too much for healthy plants. There are some data showing that it weakly suppresses the root growth in some plants. This could make a sense for some situations. When a plant is under a stressful condition, it might not be a good idea to actively growing. A larger house generally requires a higher utility bill.

With this kind of things, it is difficult to assess the actual effect anecdotally. Some infection stops, but it could have been stopped without aspirins.

This post has a bit more details: https://www.orchidsforum.com/threads/telipogon-collantesii.14713/#post-105300

9. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I do find some things grow faster/better mounted and others grow faster/better potted. Though when growing conditions are changed, that can reverse. For me, Den cuthbertsonii grows very slowly mounted, but years ago in a different greenhouse is was the opposite. Dendrobium pentapterum thrives mounted and much slower when potted.

Since I grow in greenhouses, much depends on where the plant is as there are many micro climates.

10. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

That is very interesting observation, Marni. Thank you for sharing your experience. I guess that the slight changes in the balance can affect the plant growth!

11. MikeInOz

MikeInOz Active Member

Hey naoki, fancy meeting you here. :D
    I noticed a few others from ST as well!
    Anyway, My sulphureum is doing very well mounted on a small piece of brown tree fern. Whenever I get something new and precious, I tend to look at mounting before potting so I can keep a close eye on the roots. So far so good. When I got it last year it had 3 small bulbs, 2 without leaves, Now it has about 8 and they are twice the size of the original ones. Very happy!

12. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Hi Mike, good to see you here, and I'm glad that you'll be sharing your extensive knowledge and skill here, too! It is quite different here compared to ST, but there are lots of knowledgeable people here. So I enjoy learning in both ST and here.

That's a good point, it is easier to monitor the roots.

That sounds like an amazing amount of growth for a year with your D. sulphureum. Mine produced 2 and a small bulbs in a year or so (but it was in a fairly good condition from the beginning).