Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium subuliferum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Josh H, Sep 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Josh H

Josh H Member

_007.jpg _010.jpg

Dendrobium subuliferum cross I purchased from Darrin Norton a while back and which is grown alongside other Oxyglossum group Dendrobiums under LED lights in my basement grow area. The leaves have a little red/orange tinge most likely because of the high light levels that the D. cuthbertsonii like (probably higher than ideal for this species). The plant blooms off and on throughout the year. It is grown in NZ sphagnum and kept moist pretty much all the time with light watering 5-7 days a week. Baseline water has a total dissolved solid count around 30-35 ppm and I keep it around 150ppm when fertilizing 2-3 times a month. Temps range from 62F nights to 78 F during the summer months and nights drop to mid 50s for several months in the winter.

jai and carolparente like this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Beautiful specimen and wonderful flowers. Marni has done some outcrosses of this species and has some great clones.

jai likes this.
  3. Josh H

Josh H Member

I purchased a flask from Marni a while back and the seedlings are in compots for now while coming up to size. The most vigorous of them are just starting to send buds, so I'll be curious to compare flower quality with the clones I got from Darrin.

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

That is a nice specimen plant! Amazing. The violet color is so beautiful.

5. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

A beauty

6. jai

jai Orchid addict

I like the dark blueish center

7. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

I love this species! Well done sir.

I have some of Marni's treated seedlings. I haven't noticed an easily observable difference to try and disseminate which might be polyploids.

Upon getting some confirmed 4N, breeding for color would be a great venture! Not sure about the environmental pressures that might influence color.

8. Josh H

Josh H Member

The two blooming size clones I have vary slightly in anther cap color. The one pictured is more blue and the other has more of a purple color. The flask I purchased was 2N, so I don't expect anything too unusual in terms of color. I'm curious to see what the 4N flowers look like.

9. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Will post pictures in the coming week or two!