Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium subuliferum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Alexey, Sep 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This thread was created not due to quality of blossom, but as observation. I have received this Dendrobium as a seedling in May 2011 from moderator of our forum. The plant has made excellent progress under lights in cool growing area (on left of the first photo). Three months ago I made “reserve copy” division and put it in seed propagator with Masdevallia seedlings on the west-facing windowsill. Not sure what was the cause: light or temperature changes, but single bloom was induced.
    Den subuliferum 01.jpg Den subuliferum 02.jpg

SBA likes this.
  2. MiKa

MiKa Active Member Supporting Member

Do I understand you right that the plant on the right side is the plant you recieved as a seedling 15 months ago?
    If that is the case I honestly dont know what on earth you have done to achive such a growth explosion on this otherwise rather slow grower. :confused:

3. Alexey

Michael, you are right. The plant was grown during just 15 months. Wish I could brag about some kind of culture trick, but it had no special treatment. It is potted in double terra-cotta pot in sphagnum moss and perlite mix as many other plants in my collection. My theory is – the individual characteristics of the particular plant. So, thanks to Marni for picking up the lucky plant for me! To support this theory: I acquired 6 different clones of Dendrobium peguanum from different growers. Three of them died, including one with the most unusual colour variety. One is slowly growing, another is in dormancy (leafless pseudobulbs during more than year) and sixth one grows and blooms as on steroids: already received AOS award.

4. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mikeal, Based on my experiemce with this species, I can't say it is a slower growing species. I bought a BS plant ( not from Marni, it was imported from Japan) back in spring 2011 also and it had about 12 growths then. Over this past year and a half, I had divided it three times for trade or sale, and each division had 10-16 growths, so if you looked at it that way, my oringinal plant would have grown at least 4 times of the original size.

Great looking plants there, Alexey.

5. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

One of the parents used in my outcross is a very vigorous grower and the other was not. I've had both vigorous growers and slow growers out of seedlings right next to one another with no rhyme or reason. I would say that the vigorous ones far outweigh the slower ones. Also, there seems to be no understanding why I will have a very large robust seedling with many growths and no flowers and a right next to it a 5 growth seedling in flower. I grow all of them potted and the majority in moss. They are moderately bright and in the intermediate greenhouse.

6. MiKa

MiKa Active Member Supporting Member

This is so interesting and impressive. All my experience with D. subuliferum has been that they are slow and tricky. I must be a lousy subuliferum grower then :)
    Your plant is absolutely lovely and I enjoy seeing it, as it gives me inspiration to become a better grower.

7. Boytjie

Boytjie Out hiking Supporting Member

Do growers of this one give it a definite winter rest? Mine is doing very well but still has blooms on it going into December, so I'm reluctant to start withholding water. Would appreciate some input. -Stephen

8. Marni

Stephen, it gets the same care summer and winter in my collection. Even moisture, not soggy, never dry.

Boytjie likes this.
  9. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

After moving mine out of the area I grow my cuthbertsonii they have done so well. The leaves have had their luster return and have been blooming all the time. Marni, yours are a better looking flower than the ones that came out of Japan. The anther cap of the ones I got from you are a more saturated blue with better distribution.

Marni likes this.
  10. Marni

They really aren't cold growers as far as I can tell. I grow mine with 56F minimum. I haven't seen the ones from Japan, but I have been told they all have the same shape. Perhaps they were mericloned?

11. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

I feel like it was a selfing from talking to Tom. I feel a bit more strongly about saying he divided the ones he brought back from Japan up.

12. Marni

I had heard about the sameness from people in Europe. I would be very surprised if this would self. Even then, there should be some variety.

13. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Lovely! What is the size of the flower?

14. Jeff9

Jeff9 Member

No winter rest. Confirm that it grows warmer, i am giving many of my plants warmer day temps at the least, growth is significantly better.

Boytjie likes this.
  15. Alexey

OK, it took two years from the first post of this thread to move from Edmonton to Vancouver Island, build a greenhouse, rehab collection after all neglects and now "up and running again".

Here is the same plant which was on the right side of the first post photo. Few weeks ago it receives CCE/AOS 93 points having 123 flowers.
    Den subuliferum 2014 01.jpg

Den subuliferum 2014 02.jpg

pontupo likes this.
  16. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Wow, amazing. It is good to see how quickly yours is growing!

17. Marni

Congratulations on a great blooming! You've outdone me by a mile. I am just getting ready to take a 2nd generation of 2 vigorous seedlings, some have been treated also. I'm very excited to see how they perform.

18. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wow! That is the best I have seen for this species. Congrats!

19. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

Wow!

20. Alexey

Thank you all,

Marni, can you put me on the list for a treated one?!

Looked through discussion above and as a cultural note: an entire last summer this plant spend outdoors with all collection. Greenhouse was under construction and moving light cabinets from Edmonton was out of question. In the greenhouse Den. subuliferum is on the intermediate to warm shelf with some other dendrobiums, mini cattleyas and others, receiving same fertilizing and bright light. Summer temperature often reached 30 degrees on the level of that shelf. Sure, root zone temperature was lower due to evaporative effect of double terracotta potting and constantly moist potting media.