Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium subacaule

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by weeand, Apr 9, 2019.

1. weeand

weeand Well-Known Member

0FED0756-E29D-4628-A508-F927E854B0D2.jpeg B9416EC9-FCD9-4A88-B8B1-23A07FE46490.jpeg F7C1C9DF-E613-48C3-ACD7-3A5DDE93FC54.jpeg I got this little one last year in July as a present for my birthday. Love the color of the flowers and the way they bloom in pairs. Very nice little species.

DanaRaluca, rico, wpinnix and 3 others like this.
  2. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Oh that is a nice large plant and well bloomed! I am jealous.

3. Foozil

Foozil Member

Amazing plant! I am also jealous.

4. Raven

Raven Active Member

Fantastic species. Lost all of mine last summer when the temperatures were above 70F at night for a week. Ecuagenera lists it as a warm species but I doubt it.
    I still do well with D. agathodaemonis, surprisingly!

5. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Very beautiful species and you grow it very well!
    Could you, please, share some cultural details?

6. weeand

weeand Well-Known Member

I bought this one last summer when temps rose above 86F. I kept it outside in shade. Watered three times a day and tried to cool down the surrounding by misting. She did well now she is in my cool orchidarium and she is still doing well .....

7. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Wow! This is something!

8. weeand

weeand Well-Known Member

I keep this species as all my miniatures in an enclosure, an orchidarium from about October to May. Dimensions are 90x55x100 cm. Temps are from 12C to 22.5C sometimes down to 10C. Humidity between 75 and 95. Watering twice a day with RO water. Fertilization with Rain Mix about 120 μS.
    After the watering the dry completely. When humidity falls below the 75 a misting machine starts.
    From May on they are in open air, in the shade, in a grow tent. Open at the front. Watering twice a day mostly. Sometimes three times a day. A normal summer in the Netherlands is cool and moist. High temps are mostly around 25C.

naoki likes this.
  9. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Thank you. Do you water them by hand, or do you have an automatic system? - :) I'm asking because sometimes I wish to have an automatic solution for watering my plants and because in Romania, the humidity is very low in the summer and I still don't know how to fix this - I grow my orchids inside

weeand likes this.
  10. weeand

weeand Well-Known Member

I have an automatic system, that I use when I am away for a longer period of time, but I water by hand. By watering by hand I am more in control and every orchid get the amount of water it needs. With automatic watering not every orchid gets the amount of water it needs. Some corners are more dry then others.

By keeping your orchids inside, you mean on a windowsill or in an enclosure?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  11. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Thank you very much.

I grow my orchids in an enclosed balcony of 3.95 x 1.1m and about 2.5m high (13 x 3.6 x 8.2 ft.)

So it's not really a windowsill - because I can "isolate" it by closing the door and all its windows in the winter-time. Like this, the humidity can raise to more than 90%.

But it's not 100% an enclosure, because during the summer I must keep the door and all the windows opened. Otherwise, I will have more than 50C (122F) inside.
    The problem is that if everything is opened, I can keep the temperature lower than 30-32C(86-90F), but the humidity drops down to 20-30%.

The balcony is on west side.