Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium subacaule

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Josh H, Sep 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Josh H

Josh H Member

_037.jpg

Dendrobium subacaule purchased as a small division on eBay over a year ago. This is its first blooming for me. It is grown mounted on compressed cork board with a small amount of NZ sphagnum moss around the roots (and the obligatory carpet moss that seeds itself). Daily watering with low dissolved solid count water (30-35 ppm). Grown under LED lights along with my D. cuthbertsonii, and therefore receiving similar temps. The plant was slow to get started but in the past few months has picked up speed in putting out new growths. Flowers are short lived when compared with D. cuthbertsonii or other Oxyglossum species, but still last several weeks before starting to fade.

jai likes this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Josh, welcome to Orchids Forum. You have an enviable collection of Oxyglossum Dendrobiums. I hope you become a regular here. We have a number of tank growers on this site.

This subacaule is a beautiful shape and color. Are the leaves reddish due to light level or does this species typically have that pigment?

3. Josh H

Josh H Member

Yes, I do believe the light levels stimulate more red pigment in the foliage than would be seen otherwise in this plant. I've seen other clones of this species that have much more of the standard green foliage one would expect of most Dendrobiums. I would be curious to do a study at some point on the cultural effect of LED vs. standard lighting on foliage and flower color, but I lack the space to set something like that up currently.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

No matter what color your foliage is, the flower color is fantastic. Welcome to the forum.

5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Amazing! What kind of temperature are you using for this, and how are you regulating it?

6. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

Awesome

7. Josh H

Josh H Member

Thanks everyone! Naoki, I keep this right alongside my D. cuthbertsonii which means that in the summer months it gets as high as 78F during the day and drops to around 62 F at night, while in the winter it can drop to 55F at night. I grow indoors in my basement in a grow tent and use a home-made evaporative cooler to help drop the nighttime temps below ambient room temp. The evaporative cooler comes on a few times during the day to help dissipate the heat of the LED lighting inside the tent.

8. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice setup! Whenever you get a chance, it would be nice to see your post about the DIY evaporative cooler (maybe in a separate thread or something). I'm also a grow tent user (for intermediate and warm orchids), and sometime it would be nice to lower the temp a bit. Heat issue from light became less problematic since I've mostly migrated to high-efficiency DIY COB LEDs, but I would like to create a bit lower temp, too.

9. Josh H

Josh H Member

10. jai

jai Orchid addict

The colors...
    Magnificent, very nicely grown