Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium nugentii and D. linguiforme

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by KellyW, Jan 31, 2019.

1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

The Dendrobium nugentii is on the right and in bloom. Dendrobium linguiforme is on the left and has never bloomed.

These species are very similar and were, or maybe still are, considered varieties instead of separate species.

Both have thick, roughly textured leaves and both have longitudinal creases in the leaves although they are more distinct on the linguiforme. The nugentii texture is almost like a cat tongue but the linguiforme is more like 400 grit sandpaper.

For a post showing the flowers of the D. nugentii go here.

D nugentii and linguiforme comparison-900.jpg Dendrobium nugentii and linguiforme-900.jpg

Mikhail kujawa likes this.
  2. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Hi Kelly,

Not only do they change the species names but also the genus . Looks like most are going with the 1996 description where they are now Dockrilla and two separate species.

Chuck

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Dockrilla was moved back to Dendrobium some years back along with Cadetia and some other things. Though I hear someone is working to resurrect Dockrilla.

Kelly, Do you dry off your linguiforme in the winter? Seems like a lot of moss growth on it.

4. KellyW

Marni, I continue to water it in winter but only every 3-4 days. The green moss is where there was a bit of sphagnum to get the plant established.

Do you recommend a dry winter rest? The nugentii gets the same treatment as the linguiforme.

Interestingly, I only get 2 leaves per year on the nugentii. The linguiforme has been growing much faster.

5. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

I have a linguiforme that blooms every year for me. I reduce watering in winter, but don't stop watering. Maybe it wants to be cooler? Kelly, what are your winter low temps?

6. KellyW

Bill, thanks for the info.

For my winter lows, I strive for 60F but it frequently gets to 55. Maybe it should be cooler.

7. Marni

I think it does like to be cooler. I mist during the winter, but watering beyond that is limited.

8. Marni

Kelly, I just noticed that my Den. linguiforme is in bloom right now. If you don't have a piece from me I would be happy to share since I know this one blooms regularly. It might not be your culture, but the clone.