Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium laevifolium x 3

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by KellyW, Jul 14, 2013.

Tags:
  1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Here are my 3 D. laevifolium. The 2 red ones are very, very similar except for bloom size which makes me think they are probably siblings even though I purchased them from different sources. When people come into my greenhouse they almost invariably ask "which is your favorite" and I point to the pink laevifolium. Although it is at peak bloom right now it always has at least a few blooms on it year-round.

I grow them mounted, intermediate, and almost full sun in the morning but shadier as the day progresses. No winter rest for these.
    I will be looking for some different color forms to add to these.
    Laevifolium pink-1000.jpg Laevifolium red#1-900.jpg Laevifolium red#2-1000.jpg

J E, Andreja Schulz and Lea1023 like this.
  2. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Ah! Such beauty!

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Well done, sir! How often do you water them? Do they dry out between waterings?

Andreja Schulz likes this.
  4. KellyW

Thanks, Marni. They get daily summer water and variable winter water depending on weather and temperatures, but not a dry rest. They do normally completely dry between watering.

Andreja Schulz likes this.
  5. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Well done indeed! This species is harder for me to grow than most other oxyglossums. I just repotted mine the other day and divided a piece off and mounted it. Hopefully my results are near yours, which again, are fantastic.

6. Boytjie

Boytjie Out hiking Supporting Member

The top one is amazing. One of those species that sadly continues to thwart my attempts to keep it alive. -Stephen

7. Jeff9

Jeff9 Member

v. nice!

8. John Klinger

John Klinger Active Member Supporting Member

Very nice Kelly, but I do like the darker one. Thanks for the share.

9. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mine's in early spike right now! This one seems to be an easy grower for me in my terrarium, which makes me believe they do well fairly wet year-round.

I especially like your pink one! Mine is more similar to the red ones you have. I think I remember seeing some that were white or yellow years ago. I'd love to find one of them.

10. Marni

I've grown this species for a number of years, but I've never grown it all that well. I had them mounted and I don't think they dried fast enough. I've now moved them so they are potted and getting bottom heat and they a doing much better. There is a salmon/apricot color that Tom Perlite had a couple of years ago, though some people didn't care for the color, I like it. Kelly, your dark one is really nice, but I guess the grass is always greener...

11. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Yea, I noticed that trying to grow them like a cuthbertsonii is not how it is done. The foliage was telling me it was more Hawaii and less Alaska. When I find their magic spot in the greenhouse I'm going to move my subuliferum there too. I can't get that to bloom very well either.

12. Marni

I don't grow subuliferum with either cuthbertsonii or laevifolium.

13. KellyW

Marni, I went on-line and found a straw/golden color but haven't found a salmon one yet. I hope to go to SF in September for the Orchids in the Park so I may contact Tom ahead of time and see what he has. Thanks for the tip.

Daniel, I have one tiny cuthbertsonii that is just struggling to stay alive. I believe they have very different requirements. I've never had a subuliferum so I can't speak for that. I keep the laevifolium on the same end of the gh as all of my warmer and bright growing Dendrobiums, just lower and partially shaded by the Dends above them.

14. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

I've always been worried about their humidity requirements. I've got them moved away from the cooling pads so hopefully they start growing better.

Kelly, I'm not so sure the Tom is going to be part of Orchids In the Park. We've kind of got word this might be his last sale at the Sacramento Speaker's Day.

15. KellyW

Is he getting out of the business or just not going to shows any more?

16. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Out of the business.

17. Marni

That is not what he told me on Thursday. He is not out of business. He will be closing his business at some point in the future, but for now he is still selling plants.

18. KellyW

Thanks, Marni

19. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

I put my foot in my mouth, I was repeating from an email from our orchid society sent out.

The Peninsula OS put out their vendor list for Orchids In the Park and Golden Gate is present.

Marni, I was inferring a future tense. Tom still remains as the best commercial nursery in the country.

20. Doc Elly

Doc Elly Member

I love these little guys! I grow mine mounted and let it dry out a lot, not intentionally, but just because I don't water as often as I should. It doesn't exactly thrive, but it grows and blooms, which is all I can really ask. Yours are gorgeous!