Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium igneoniveum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by xmpraedicta, May 2, 2021 at 9:56 PM.

1. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Originally purchased as a seedling from popow 3 years ago as Dendrobium tobaense. A little disappointed but it’s still a fabulous rare species that I’ve always wanted, so I’m not too sad. I originally saw Marni’s plant on here several years ago and fell in love with this species. It’s lovely to behold in person.

33BD75BC-CA59-4F17-B3FB-78CFF095E08D.jpeg 0235B300-CB9E-45EF-829E-3DC33A3A1A3A.jpeg 14789C1C-473D-4B98-8427-EDFEA8FE5DA2.jpeg

DPfarr, DarleneJay, GaryYG and 8 others like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I can't imagine why you would be even a little disappointed. It is wonderful and so beautifully photographed. How are you growing it?

3. xmpraedicta

Thanks Marni! I think I was just so excited to see tobaense that I wasn't ready to have something different, but I'm definitely very grateful and appreciative of this plant.

I spent 3 years treating it the way I imagined Dendrobium tobaense would want to be treated. I looked up the climate data of Parapat, a town on Lake Toba, and tried to replicate it as best as I could: somewhat warm-intermediate temperatures of 17-22 (60-70), bright southern light behind a screen, with relatively constant moisture only allowing a day (maximum two) between drying out. It's in a mix of coconut, bark, sphagnum and perlite. It's filled the pot with roots, so it dries quite quickly, which lets me regulate watering pretty easily.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Calvin, I've lost mine in the last few years troubles. But I'm ready to take some out of flask and give it another try. Thanks!

And is that chunk coconut or fiber in the fix?

5. xmpraedicta

It’s the chunky stuff that I think a lot of people don’t like because it’s supposedly salty or needs lots of rinsing. I don’t use tons of it, maybe just 20% of the mix to increase water holding capacity while the bark settles in. It’s likely mostly gone by now after 3 years.

6. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

This is gorgeous!

7. Mat Brutger

Mat Brutger Member

Absolutely stunning! Beautifully grown, thanks for sharing! @Marni I sent you an email regarding this species ;)

Marni likes this.