Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium hybrid

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by Alexey, Jul 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Den tobaense x Den draconis, grown in cool orchidarium (on these hot days it is more intermediate). I have acquired this plant half-a-year ago from Paramount Orchids. It is still non-registered hybrid, at least was not in data base week ago. One could expect more vivid color of the lip, but overall flower has good texture and rather big for the plant size.
    Den tobaense x draconis 02.jpg Den tobaense x draconis 01.jpg

2. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Excellent and interesting hybrid! I've wondered before what this would look like. It is a pity that the lip veining on the draconis and the texturing of the tobaense, two of the most exciting characteristics of both parent species, are lost. Nonetheless, beautiful and very nice. Does it smell good?

3. Alexey

Calvin, I noticed just a hint of a fresh, grassy scent.

4. xmpraedicta

Also interesting - draconis smells very nice, like tangerines, whereas tobaense smells a little rotten, at least the ones I've smelled.

5. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

interesting and nice flower but I think I like both parents more ;-)

6. Alexey

Perhaps that is why this hybrid is still non-registered. Hopefully other clones will show best characteristics of the parents.

7. xmpraedicta

Alexey, how is this hybrid growing for you? Have you managed to produce more flowers? I seem to grow lots of canes, but no flowers; I grow intermediate warm, and wonder if it needs cooler conditions

8. slippersnpitchers

slippersnpitchers New Member

That is nice Alexey! Is this its first bloom? Calvin, I grow my formosae types with 55F low in winter, east facing windows, and they all bloom (well all that are BS).
    I like this hybrid, and would be very interested to see it backcrossed with its parents again.

9. xmpraedicta

Dan - I'll send you pollen if this one decides to bloom so you can cross it with your tobaense; I've just matured a big cane, so I'm trying to be hopeful

10. slippersnpitchers

slippersnpitchers New Member

Sounds great Calvin! Please try to self it also if you get more than 1 bloom! Many thanks!