Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium hekouense

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, Sep 24, 2017.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A tiny dendrobium still uncommon in cultivation, though now available in the US. This bloom was a bit unexpected. I got this plant last spring, and didn't expect it to bloom until next year.

The relatively large flower measures about 1" from the front of the flower to the end of the nectary. And a particularly clunky looking nectary it is. Charitably, I'd say the end resembles a butt. Less charitably I'd say the end resembles a ballsack.

Not much cultural information available, but it's supposedly temperature tolerant leaning towards cool. It has done well for close to 6 months with max day time temp just above 80º. Summer nights about 67-68º F. It goes deciduous in winter and I will be keeping it around 50º F at night then, daytime in the 70s. I let it dry a little and will keep it drier, but not very much so in winter. Medium light.

Dendrobium hekouense.jpg Dendrobium hekouense closeup.jpg Dendrobium hekouense closeup (side).jpg

J E, Chuck-NH, Marc3dogs and 5 others like this.
  2. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

Well done:clap::clap::clap:

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Great to see!

4. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Very nice.

5. pcolman

More flowers this year. It looks like bulbs need to be about a year old before they bloom, because the bulbs that bloomed now matured last year. Had one more flower, but it opened several weeks before these two. I'm expecting a bunch of flowers next year since it has nearly tripled in size over the past year.

Dendrobium hekouense 08.12.18.jpg Dendrobium hekouense flowers 08.12.18.jpg Dendrobium hekouense flowers (side) 08.12.18.jpg Dendrobium hekouense closeup 08.12.18.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Chuck-NH, sam1147 and Kipper like this.
  6. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Nice! o_O

7. Gerrit

Gerrit Well-Known Member

Fantastic!

8. Marc3dogs

Marc3dogs Under lights

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Hello, I see you have had success with this type of orchid. I today received a very tiny and in my option sad example of DENDROBIUM HEKOUENSE. Do you have any suggestions for care. I grow under lights. Most Times humidity in upper 50% to mid 60 %. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Marc

9. pcolman

It's really not that small a piece, probably blooming size or close. It's probably going to continue looking crappy until it puts out new growth. Is that a recent import? It looks as if it went a long time without water. I haven't seen any sign of this species going dormant in winter, so that probably didn't do it much good. I give it intermediate temps in summer, cool winter nights (around 50°F). I water daily year-round, though it dries out more in winter due to lower humidity.

10. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Good comments pcolman. I expected it to be one of those deciduous species as well, but really doesn’t seem to have a defined growing season for me. It does get a bit less water in the winter as you mentioned, partly due to not watering on the many cloudy days but also due to fast drying on the sunny days.