Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium fimbriatum var. oculatum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by rico, Mar 31, 2019.

1. rico

rico Active Member

This isn't as good a blooming as last year, but it might not be done yet. Last year it grew another spike after the others had already dropped their flowers. I was considering getting rid of this plant but I think I should keep it now. It has been in the open this blooming and I've discovered it has a strong, and pleasant, fragrance of cloves. IOSPE says it should smell sour (sounds rather unpleasant to me) and I'm glad it doesn't; I don't consider cloves to be sour but maybe others do... Anyway it's a nice plant, I hope you enjoy the flowers and I wish you could smell them too!

Den. oculatum fim 2019 2.jpg Den. oculatum fim 2019.jpg

Foozil and Nisanisa like this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Very cheery flowers and nicely bloomed.

I personally like the smell of cloves and really enjoy orchids with that fragrance. That seems to be a common fragrance among orchids so there must be a group of insects that are attracted to that smell. Anyone know?

3. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

The fragrance of cloves? Interesting. I didn't detect any fragrance on mine. I wish they will bloom again so I can smell the flowers...

4. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Beautiful flowers. :) and the fragrance sounds great, too.

5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Pretty color!