Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium dickasonii winter rest

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Raven, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Raven

Raven Active Member

My D. dickasonii decided to bloom. This is a new species in my collection and I wonder if I need to give it winter rest or not. Technically, the plant believes it is spring now...

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I give mine a dry rest.

Raven likes this.
  3. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

If it doesn't have leaves, rest. If the leaves are going to fall off, rest. That's my MO for unicum and lamyaiae at least.

Raven likes this.
  4. Raven

Raven Active Member

Thanks! It does not have leaves. Would you suggest to reduce water completely, or water at least once every two weeks? I grow some other species with dry winter rest, and I found that they do better when I water them at least a bit during winter.

5. Raven

Raven Active Member

Thank you Marni. By dry do you mean no water at all, or water infrequently? I grow it more like intermediate than cool (55F min nights in winter, 70-72F days).

6. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

If it's mounted and can be dried quickly, not that big of an issue to mist. If potted, same thing applies. Don't let it stay wet if it gets wet.

Raven likes this.
  7. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

The last few years, I usually mist occasionally. If the weather is sunny/dry perhaps twice a week. But I don't mist heavily. More to equal morning dew.

Raven likes this.