Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium devonianum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Ricardo, May 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Over the years I have tried to grow many types of Dendrobium. Some thrive without care in my garden, while others are impossible to keep alive. Others are in a grey zone where they will survive if I pamper them. This is the case of devonianum. dendevonian0.jpg

2. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Ricardo, I love Dendrobiums but haven't grown this one yet. What is the biggest obstacle? The heat?

3. Ricardo

The biggest obstacle, in my view, is actually getting your hands on a plant of this species. Of three plants that I brought, only one actually was devonianum. The real devonianum arrived at my hands because a friend brought it at Redlands and carried it back on his luggaje. As far as culture goes, I think the greatest obstacle, as you say is the heat. The plant produces canes that compared with those back in the Himalayas and China, are small thin and relatively short. When I have really devoted much time to the care of this plant it has produced larger canes, but to get this I have to fertilize it heavily and constantly during the whole growing season as well as watering it almost daily. The leaves are deciduous suprisingly soon after they appear, at least in my plant. Also the leave are thin and quite vulnerable to insect attack.

ChemMonster and Kipper like this.
  4. Steve B

Steve B Active Member Supporting Member

Looks to me to be worth the trouble,Ricardo.A pretty one.

ChemMonster and Ricardo like this.
  5. shashidhar sastry

shashidhar sastry Active Member

Well, this is one of the most beautiful Dendrobiums from the Himalayas, having worked in the North Eastern Part of India for almost three decades, it was easy for me to have the blooms of may of these Dendrobiums. But after my return to S. India (Bangalore) it was some what challenging to grow some of these Dendrobiums out of their natural environment, but constant care saw these were established and started blooming in Bangalore conditions which are intermediate to warm. Pic 6. Dendrobium devonianum.jpg

ChemMonster, Alison, Marni and 3 others like this.
  6. JohnF

JohnF New Member Supporting Member

Beautiful!

7. Ricardo

Your plant has really beautiful blooms!

8. shashidhar sastry

shashidhar sastry Active Member

Thank you, while we are at it, the difficulty in growing this species is it likes little cool weather though it can be grown in intermediate conditions. The first thing i look for after flowering or by the end of flowering is the new shoots which comes out and forms the current grwoth. Requires some humidity

ChemMonster likes this.
  9. Alison

Alison Member

10. Alison

Alison Member

Wow that is a stunning flower.

ChemMonster likes this.