Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium dekockii?

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Chris.c147, Dec 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Chris.c147

Chris.c147 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a source for Dendrobium dekockii or brevicaule in the US?

I want to try my hand at growing cold species in a modified wine cooler.

2. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

brevicaule can be purchased from Popow or from Ooi Leng Sun
    both sell them for about $25, color varies from light orange to dark red
    Plants are only about 2 cm tall and I am still not certain they are correctly labeled.
    I have one plant and I know of a few around. I can ask if they are for sale.

dekockii I have not seen personally. Andy P had some and they died as far as I know. I would guess that Dan Newman has some but you would have to see him to know for sure.

3. Chris.c147

I contacted Dan and he said his died as well. I am now looking at options to import these plants and other cool growing PNG Dendrobiums like it as they are not common here in the US at all.

4. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

PM an email address. I think I can help with a few. If not, I know I can at the very least locate plants for sale that are already in the states or can be without you having to do all the docs, ect

5. Chris.c147

PM sent!

6. pacome

pacome Active Member

As far as I can tell, Popow (and ooi leng sun) don't have brevicaule, but subacaule, and indeed this is a very small species. Not too cold growing, though. Here they even grow better during summer (15-30°C) than winter, when night temperature goes down to 10°C. I have a dozen or so of Popow's plants, and they're doing decently well. I purchased 8 plants from Ooi leng sun, and they were close to dead when I received them, not to mention their ridiculous size.

Marni likes this.
  7. Josh H

Josh H Member

A word of caution with D. dekockii from someone who has tried and failed to keep it alive once before. The caveat to my failure is that I did not have the same set-up that I do today and it might be easier for me to meet the cultural needs now. However, I noticed what others here have echoed... that it was a much more finicky plant than D. cuthbertsonii (which is notorious in its own right, perhaps undeservedly).

Either way, here is a pic of the ill-fated plant before it tanked (taken many years ago now, with a poor quality iPhone camera). I think I'd still take the chance of giving it another shot, given the opportunity.

dekockii.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  8. Gabriel Urbina

Gabriel Urbina New Member

Curious, did you ever find a source for those?