Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium cuthbertsonii

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by gg68, Apr 15, 2013.

Tags:
  1. gg68

gg68 Angraecoid addict

I have some seedlings just out flasked from our lab, and I would like to know which is the best way to grow them??

Monted, potted?? If potted, with sphagnum, fine bark...??

2. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

The way that I see Golden Gate Orchids do theirs is with sphagnum. I've been told by them, a perceived world expert of this species, that a high loss in the seedlings is to be expected.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Some I have done mounted if they are large (2" or so), otherwise potted usually in moss in small platic pots and sometimes in fine bark. Tom of Golden Gate Orchids grows his seedlings in moss in plastic plug trays. Once established he moves them to moss in clay pots.

4. catweazle

catweazle Member

I grow them in Kanuma , in plastic pots from the food of our bearded dragons ,because it´s perforated round the pot , but not below .
    Moist and cool every time without a cover .

This seedlings since one year in the pot .

seedlings BSU cuth März13.jpg

5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I had to look up Kanuma since I had never heard of it. Interesting.

Giles, good luck with your efforts.

6. gg68

gg68 Angraecoid addict

Thank you for your answers!!

7. Jeff9

Jeff9 Member

I would go with anything that keeps them constantly damp/moist (not wet!!), good air movement and drainage, preferably something that doesn't break down. This is a good rule of thumb for all the oxyglossum species - So for example the medium that Andrea mentioned would be an excellent choice

If you are working with seedlings keep them warmer, atleast during the day. - Infact i keep all my plants warm during the day, mature or seedling, and that's atleast at24C (75F). - They show increased vigor and growth.

Just make sure they don't dry out whatever happens that is certain death.

8. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Actually, with constant good humidity, it is beneficial for mature plants if you let them dry out slightly/briefly.

I grow some of mine(mature plants) on cork mount but I also have good luck with tree fern mix(1-2" long tree fern sticks, sponge rocks, small charcoals and moss) in basket. For seedlings, moss might be the common choice and I use moss for all newly deflasked seedlings(all genera in general), but like Marni said, the larger seedlings can be mounted.

9. Tyson

Tyson Ex-Situ

I love Kanuma, and use it extensively for my Nepenthes. I had wondered if it might work for this species... As I understand it, it is volcanic glass which has been whethered by weak organic acids.