Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Dendrobium changjiangense

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Chuck-NH, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Here is a miniature Dendrobium species from Hainan China. I nearly killed it after import several years ago...maybe just shock? It literally just sat with one growth for over a year and has taken another 2-3 to mature the one new growth. I’m hoping it speeds up a little now that it seems to be settling in and I’m seeing visible roots on the mount now. I have been growing it cool and fairly bright. It is watered daily for most of the year and I cut back a little during the winter. Does anyone else have experience with this? This is also the first bloom for me and it just opened a day ago, so perhaps it will open a bit wider?

EBCFFE26-F912-4146-857D-A74723240222.jpeg
    FEBF56E1-51C0-4F48-B93B-519571D65AC0.jpeg
    FE5B19DB-D02F-40FE-A1E8-4C06C649CF10.jpeg

J E, wpinnix, sam1147 and 1 other person like this.
  2. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Small flower, but the growth habit and how the flower comes out is very interesting. It is a compact species, right?

3. Chuck-NH

I would probably call the plant habit miniature...a little like a smaller Oberonia.

4. Gabriel Urbina

Gabriel Urbina New Member

I have a den. dixonianum that stayed with 3 growths for almost 2 years. Also imported and probably in shock. No activity in that time, until this year, it started making roots and made 2 growths. Yours will probably start growing faster now.
    I love the oxystophyllum section of dens, I think the flowers tend to stay relatively closed. They look like little drops of blood on the leaf. Pretty cool.

Chuck-NH likes this.
  5. GaryYG

GaryYG Active Member

Oxystophyllum changjiangense does not belong to Dendrobiinae but rather to Eriinae.

Chuck-NH likes this.
  6. Chuck-NH

Really interesting Gary! I see renaming a genus happens a bit, but moving to a different tribe altogether is quite interesting. Looks like Kew initially rejected this classification...any idea what convinced them to change?