Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Den. fangjinshanense and vietnamense culture

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by pcolman, Oct 29, 2019.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Would like cultural tips regarding getting these species to flower. From what I understand warmish summers and intermediate to cool winters should work well for both. I am not certain of how much of a reduction in watering during winter they require. Both species grow well for me, but last year both blasted beginning of buds. This year the Den. fangjinshanense has produced single bud spike opposite nearly all the leaves that grew this years, hoping not to lose them. It's still a bit early for Den. vietnamense this year. If anyone grows either of these species and has tips, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

2. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

I could not find any reference to Den. fangjinshanense, is it newly described?

3. pcolman

Whoops, typo. It should be fanjingshanense. Described in 2001.

Den. vietnamense was described in 2005.

4. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Wow, Dendrobium fanjingshanense is a beauty! I have many deciduous dendrobium that go through a rest period of varying severity. However, my main problem is getting the plant to bloom, having the buds start developing and then stop, is something I have not seen in my plants.

5. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Hi pcolman,

I can’t speak for D. vietnamense, but D. fanjingshanense has been a huge frustration for me. Several years back now, I picked up a select brick red clone from Hengduan (Perners). My recollection was warm, wet Summer and cool-cold and bright and dry Winter.

So the first 2-3 years, cool and dry and the buds blasted. Then cool and a little more moisture...and the buds blasted. Last year, more to the intermediate and dryish...and the buds blasted. This year, watered heavily all Summer and is loaded with buds on nearly every stem. The buds still seem to be expanding...going to keep watering this time with intermediate temps and see what happens. Maybe the dry spell is after blooming?

If this doesn’t work, will put on the cold side of the greenhouse next year 30’s &40’s F at night and try to kill it.

Interestingly, photos on the internet usually show just 1-2 blooms and given the number of buds that form...seems like someone should have had a great blooming by now?

Chuck

6. Raven

Raven Active Member

I haven't grown both species, but I just checked the climate data for the locations where D. fanjingshanense supposedly grows. It comes from Guizhou province at elevations 800-1500 meters. The climate data for Guiyang (1200 m) says that it probably receives rain year round with 17 "rainy" days even in January, probably in a form of light mist. The temperatures are also rather low, down to 35F at night, and the frost is not uncommon. What I also noticed is that the sunshine is very limited during the winter months, meaning the plant would probably enjoy a shady location! I wonder if anybody tried to grow it shady, cold, and relatively moist during winter months.

7. pcolman

Thanks you both for the info on Den. fanjingshanense. Looks like I won't try for a dry winter. Temperature drop does not seem to be a trigger for starting development of buds because it started in later summer while it was still quite warm, though it may well be a requirement for them to continue developing. I suspect I'm going to have more blast this year. Shame, because I would have several dozen buds if it didn't.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019