Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Deflask now or wait?

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Raven, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

IMG_4616.JPG I got a flask of lepanthes and I'm not sure if I should deflask it now or wait. All of the lepanthes flasks that I've deflaskef before had pretty large seedlings, some of them were blooming size. Here I have a bunch of 1 cm tall seedlings (0.4''). They seem pretty crowded though.
    What would you guys do?

2. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

It depends a little bit on what species, but I would wait a bit unless badly jumbled.

3. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

Thank you, Chuck.
    This is L. tsubotae.

4. Chuck-NH

In that case, they are almost blooming size. So just send it to me .

Mine is blooming right now...very tiny
    2D4B6C16-C7FE-4D47-8DC8-084FFF06DD4A.jpeg

Kipper and Raven like this.
  5. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

Your collection of Lepanthes is already big enough, you don't need more :D

Nice blooming! What humidity do you maintain around them? I've heard of people growing Lepanthes completely enclosed with a great success.

6. Chuck-NH

But they’re small...one can always fit a few more;).

My Lepanthes are right in the open greenhouse, although I put them in spots where the microclimate would hopefully hold a high humidity. The ambient RH has been real low of late during the day (20% +/-). It’s great for evaporative cooling as I can keep the cool area around 65F when 80F ambient temperature. I believe the best I’m doing is 70+/- % RH as the Dracula’s have been drooping a bit by day. Lepanthes do not seem as sensitive

7. seidenfaden

seidenfaden Well-Known Member

I always look to see if there is sufficient root development before de-flasking.

8. carl

carl Active Member

You definitely want good rood development prior to deflasking, because that means the plants are up to making roots. However, agar roots will need to be replaced with roots adapted to the growing medium, so you want the leaves to get as large as *reasonably* possible prior to deflasking, as they can continue to trundle along while roots get going.

Many smaller Lepanthes will flower in flask. It's a pretty good indication that they're probably big enough to plant out.

9. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

Thanks all.
    I think I'll wait until they are bigger in flask.