Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cypripedium reginae

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by tenman, May 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

After a few years, I've finally managed to bloom another cyp (we won't talk about the acaule that bloomed and died a while back). It has another bud but did't want to wait til it opens to snap a pic since the first flower will inevitably get knocked off, eaten, or have some other calamity overtake it.

Who knew this would be so difficult to grow, given that it is native to this area?

The 'dust' on the leaves (which I blew off the flower) is from a carpenter bee about 12 feet above, which has made a home in the stump of a large branch (about 40' long, and rather thick) which was removed a few years ago in preparation for building the GH. The bee is not long for this world, but I'm waiting til the cyp is out of bloom to hit the hole with serious chemicals.
    reginaebest.jpg

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Are these in the ground? Do you have to jump through horticultural hoops to make this happen? I'm completely in awe.

3. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

That's fantastic. I've always had a like for cyps. Congrats on blooming it!!!

4. Leo in N.E. Illinois

Leo in N.E. Illinois New Member

Very nice, I have seen where you grow it, -but is it in a pot in the ground, or just in the ground.

5. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Well, this time I'm trying the system recommended by one of our speakers last year, Roger Zelinsky. The plants are in one-gallon pots in a specific mix, set in a raised bed and sunk rim-level to the ground therein.

I mulched with oak leaf mulch and topped that with some regular cypress for the winter and they seem to be doing better than ever before. If they do well over a few years, I'll try some divisions straight in the bed out of pot, though of course I'll have to dig a trench for them and add new mix rather than what's sitting there in the bed - too much clay.

6. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Love them all.

I have hundreds of wild Cyp. acaule in my back yard. It is legal for me to dig them up... If you want to give it another try, let me know.

7. Dawn

Dawn New Member

beautiful!