Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cypripedium reginae

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by tenman, Jun 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Once native to my locale, these unfortunately have all but disappeared from most of Ohio now. It lives in the back yard in a pot in a raised bed, and this is a first blooming for this one, bloomed in mid-May. the other one I have flowered last year and came back with two growths this spring but did not flower.
    awww.orchidcourt.com_reginaewr0512.jpg

2. Torrish

Torrish Active Member

Tenman I would be interested to here more about your growing conditions as I am keen to give these a try. Do you by chance know which zone you live in on the 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map? I have read of these needing quite wet acid conditions. Is your bed lined and what is your potting/bed medium? Given your plants are potted do you winter them under cover? Whilst most of the UK benefits from a relatively mild maritime climate we do get most winters one or two periods of down to -10 to -15 C.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks so much for posting this lovely flower.

4. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

These aren't as needy of acidity as Cyp.acaule. Mine grow in pots in a raised bed in a mix of mostly granite grit with a little peat and perlite. The reason for the raised bed is the clay 'soil' here doesn't drain well. The bed itself is made up of a combination of the clay, mulch, topsoil, peat-based potting 'soil' and leaves. They have full sun until the maple above them leafs out and then have part sun the rest of the year. I water twice weekly if there hasn't been any rain. Our zone is on the cusp between areas and was recently upgraded to 6A from 5. The only additional cover they receive in the winter is an inch of oakleaf mold and then a light covering of white pine needles to keep it from blowing off. This year henryi, Philipp, parviflorum, and reginae have bloomed. The 'in -pot' method and mix are detalied at http://www.raisingrarities.com . I purchased several plants from him, and have had much better results than I did planting them straight out in another raised bed without the pots. Additionally the in-pot culture alloows one to move the plants at will regardless of timing, to take them to shows or meetings.

5. Torrish

Torrish Active Member

Tenman thanks for all the information and the link which are much appreciated. Just a couple more questions if you have the time. What size pots are you starting your plants in and when would you recommend purchasing? Thanks for posting your photo's.

6. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

What they call 'one gallon' size, and I think Spring is the best time. You can get them early spring or late fall (normally only available when dormant). But I think they adjust better if you get them in the spring and then they grow for you that season, and by fall are more used to your conditions and better able to last the winter through.

7. Torrish

Torrish Active Member

Thank you much appreciated.