Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cypripedium parviflorum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by tenman, Jun 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Five of my ten cyps are now blooming size and have rewarded my great efforts at growing them by gracing me with flowers this year. This is the best performer, it had four buds but one blasted when I had it out of the ground for a day to take it to a meeting. All my cyps are in 1 gallon pots sunken into the raised bed I prepared for them to have adequate drainage since our 'soil' here is 50% clay, 25% maple roots and 25% rock. the glossy yellow pouch has to be seen to be believed. Plant was about 10" tall. There is a great deal of confusion between this and Cyp.pubescens; the only salient difference I can determine form the dozen or so contradictory descriptions claiming to be authoritative is that one has larger flowers than the other. Which one varies depending on the 'authority'. I really don't care. This is the name I got it under and so this is the name on the tag. BTW, the particles on some of the cyps are sawdust from the carpenter bees above in the maple tree.

awww.orchidcourt.com_parviflorumclose0513.jpg
    awww.orchidcourt.com_parviflorumfull0513.jpg

newbud likes this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I was going to ask about the sawdust. Mine are boring into the redwood beam above one of my benches so mine sawdust is red. I am very impressed with your culture of these and the time an effort it must take to do it as well as you have. Thank you for showing them to us.

3. emuehlbauer

emuehlbauer New Member

Exceptional color on that one!

4. newbud

newbud Active Member

Yes it does take a lot of work to grow them. I only have C. acuale next to my house and would like to add other Cyps. Sorry I didn't see this thread before I asked the questions. I would like to know your opinion of what I could grow here. It gets pretty hot in the summer. Below freezing a few times in winter. C. acuale does real well here. Are any of yours adaptable to acuale requirements?

5. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Acaule is the toughest of all to grow. But that's because it needs really acidic conditions. I don't know if the others would like those conditions or not. If you have three months below about 40F, most should do ok.