Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cypripedium parviflorum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by tenman, May 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

I was relieved to see that at least some of the cyps are going to bloom, since we've had really crazy weather. Four growths on this one, three with flowers, each of which has a shape issue. The close-up is of the middle flower which has the best overall shape, minus the warts. Last year's two flowers were perfect, but again, I'm just glad to see them at all this year. An advantage of growing these in pots in the ground outdoors is that I can lift them out when in bloom (or anytime, really) to photograph them or take them to meetings or shows. These grow in a raised be in the back yard all year in a mix prescribed by the guy I got them from, which is mostly granite grit!

awww.orchidcourt.com_parviflorumclose0512.jpg
    awww.orchidcourt.com_parviflorumtriple0512.jpg

J E and Kipper like this.
  2. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

They are survived and in the bloom. Hopefully next year the result will be better. Here in AB, I have to wait 4 to 5 weeks more for my Cypripediums. They are still underground!
    How long is your experience with port culture? One of the members of our society uses it with success and perhaps this Fall I will try to pot some of Cypripediums.

3. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

This is my third year this way and the plants and blooming are vastly better. It helps a lot that I have them in a raised bed since our clay here doesnt drain.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

How wonderful. They are almost never seen here.