Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cypripedium parviflorum var.pubescens

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Chuck-NH, May 20, 2018.

1. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

it is finally Spring in New Hampshire (USA). This variety of native orchid is known as the "Large Yellow Lady Slipper".

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

rico likes this.
  2. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

Amazing! I've done a lot of of research on the native orchids in my area (I've gone to college in North Carolina for the past two years), and technically Cypripedium parviflorum var. pubescens and var. parviflorum both grow here, but I've never been lucky enough to find one. I'm going on a "botanical trip" in about a month, so fingers crosses that I can find some!

3. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! Nicholas, when I was doing a postdoc in Duke, I've seen C. acaule in W. NC when I was backpacking around there (I forgot exactly where, though). My friend posted a photo of C. parvilforum pretty close to the city of Durham.

4. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

I might have to visit Durham then! I have two small colonies of C. acaule that I've actually been monitoring and recording their growth and flowering habits for the past two years. It's been kind of a fun "side-project" of mine, so I'm always interested in finding new colonies to monitor.

Thank you for the tip!!

5. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

C. acaule is very abundant in my area. The number of plants within 10-20 ft of my road numbers in the hundreds. I do avoid disturbing them as much as possible. They have just started to bloom so have not fully colored up.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

RustyExotics and wpinnix like this.
  6. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Beautiful!