Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cyano Acrylate

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Sunfighter, Sep 13, 2019 at 5:11 PM.

1. Sunfighter

Sunfighter New Member

I've only been growing Orchids for a little over a year now but I was an Aquarist for over 50 years. Marine reef keepers sometimes divide soft corals with a sharp knife and Crazy Glue the halves to a wet rock. It sounds a little nuts, but it works.
    Now I'm wondering if an Orchid could be mounted on a sheet of glass then maybe a little coir or LFS around it. Crazy Glue is only good on non porous surfaces, but there is a more viscous version that might work.

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I know some people use hot glue to attach plants to mounts. I've used hot glue to put labels on plant leaves for exhibition and never say any damage.

3. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

I know of several general of orchids, some that grow on rocks and some that grow on semi arid regions that would grow on a sheet of glass with the same gusto they would on a branch. Dendrobium of the division sphatulata would grow well but probably almost all species would grow too large and weighty for a sheet of glass. Encyclias of the arid regions as well as Psychilis would grow without need of any moss or material to cover the roots. The problem with this idea is the shattering result of the plant falling on the ground. Also, glass can be heavy on its own right, and while you can cut, modify and do things with plastic and terracota pots and wood mounts, glass is not amenable to modifying the same way.

4. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

There is a liquid glue available called E6000 that was recommended to me when I assembled my "epiphyte tree". I used it to glue some plants in place, and it seems to have done no harm to them at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Sunfighter

Sunfighter New Member

6. Sunfighter

Sunfighter New Member

Thanks for these suggestions. I'm thinking about my 48 x 18 x 24 inch rain forest terrarium with an automatic misting system that puts out a heavy mist for 30 sconds every 12 hours.

7. Sunfighter

Sunfighter New Member

I likr that hot glue idea.

8. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I have always shied away from hot glue, due to the potential of the "hot" damaging the plant.

Plus, hot-melt glues in sticks tend to be very rigid, while the E6000, whose solvent is apparently not toxic to the plants, stays very flexible. That's not an issue in a terrarium, but for a "tree" outdoors, I though it offered an advantage.