1. Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cuitlauzina pendula

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Pete Potter, May 19, 2009.

1. Pete Potter

Pete Potter Pete Potter

Is anyone growing Cuitlauzina pendula aka Odontoglossum pendulum aka Odontoglossum citrosmum – those discarded names seem to be more common in nurseries than the accurate one.

I purchased one few weeks ago and downloaded a culture sheet from the Bakers, which offered quite astounding instructions. So I didn't water the plant after the very first time at its arrival when it was bone dry – and has remained so ever since, after I studied the watering pecularities of the thing. There's also been an article in the AOS Orchids magazine (April 2007) about the subject.

The results don't seem promising, though. The plant had a new growth when it arrived and now the new growth has more or less withered. The whole plant has also turned VERY yellow in the sun (which was recommended for good blooming) in which it also burned (indoors) the one occasion the grower was not in alert and after which it has been in the sun EXQUISITELY outdoors (balcony) where the air has been very cool up to this day, plus the location is VERY windy. No fear of burning there! I have also protected it with a hood of tissue paper the last weeks since the colour of tha plant indicates that the sun is getting just a little too overwhelming for it.

The thing is, all the instructions I have got a grib of give the watering schedule in relation to blooming, and there's nothing such to start with. And following the instructions, the plant should NOT be watered now as it shows a start of a new growth. It is also worth mentioning that i can't see much reason in watering a plant that has virtually no living roots, which is the state it came from the nursery. In spite of all, the pseudobulbs are only slightly wrinkled, or rather "deflated" as their surface is VERY smooth and shiny with plain sags.

The picture shows the plant as it arrived.
    Odn_pendulum.jpg

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to OI, Pete. Your plant looks pretty normal for this time of year. Even with a new growth, it is a bit of a skimpy division. If it had a new growth and that has been lost, it could be a year or so before it does anything. Some clones are more tolerant to watering than others and some will do nothing (not bloom, not grow) if too much water is given in the dry season, but it does come from an area where it is very dry in winter. If the humidity is high in the growing area, generally no water is necessary. If humidity is low, some misting may be in order.

If the new growth is still there, I would withhold watering (perhaps a misting now and then) until it starts to grow a bit and then gradually increase watering over the next month or so. If the new growth is rotted I would wait until a few more weeks and then water. Also, as the watering season begins, it would be under cloud cover in it's habit. so it should be shaded more. If it is in full sun and windy, it is apt to get desiccated.

One of mine is opening now (the one that blooms for me no matter what I do) and a couple of others are in spike. I was told years ago not to water until after the buds were opening and have had spikes damp off when watered too soon. It can be a frustrating plant, but worth the effort to me.

3. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

U.S.A
    I agree with Marni. Your plant may need another year or two before it will do something(blooming).

I stop watering my plant right after new year and I gradually resume the watering when the flower spikes are 6" long.

4. Pete Potter

Pete Potter Pete Potter

Great, thanx Marni, that was just the confirmation I needed to just let it be and not to worry to lose it. I have figured the same thing with the sun: at this point of the year it starts to be just too much even as north as we are in here. The new growth is not rotten though, how could it be being dry as bone; the reason for its withering must be dehydration – it may be very thin line between sufficient dryness and just a hint too much of it (with the wind and all)...

What do you think of the miserable roots? In my opinion, they are dead and I DON'T suppose that's the way they should be... :eek:/

And YES, it IS a skimpy division but one of the VERY few nearly-OK plants from THAT nursery, which won the first stead in the black list then and there with its first delivery.

And no, I did NOT expexct it to flower just yet ;o) but I eagerly wait for the first occasion: the pictures I have seen of it are just unbelievable!

Tags: Cuitlauzina