Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cryptopus paniculatus

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by goods, Jul 11, 2016.

1. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My first blooming of a seedling I purchased from Louisiana Orchid Connection. I was surprised to see it producing two spikes on such a young plant. I have wanted to grow this genus since I received the Angraecoid Orchids book as a kid, so blooming this one is eventful for me!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pontupo and jai like this.
  2. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Nice! I was super excited to get one last year too. Good job on blooming it! Can't wait to bloom mine.

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I really like that. I think it will have to go on my "must have" list.

4. goods

Thanks to both of you!

Kelly, you might as well buy Crypt. elatus when you grab this one as well. It's just as nice :)

5. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations, Zach! It is a very nice thing and especially gratifying to bloom something you have wanted from many years.

6. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

That is exciting! I almost bought it, but I wasn't sure if my C. elatus is doing ok.

7. goods

Naoki, what do you mean by not sure if it is doing ok? I have C. elatus as well and find it significantly slower than paniculatus.

8. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Sorry, Zach, I wasn't clear. I killed 1st C. elatus, and I've had my 2nd one for about a year. I'm using warmer, drier & brighter condition than before, and it seems to be still very slow (maybe 2 leaves were made in a year). So I've been assuming that the condition isn't good enough for it (and probably C. panucluatus), and I don't know what's wrong. 86/70F day/night temp (this is the constant temp and not max/min). Water about every other day (dries in 10 hour or so, and it will be dry for the next day). 70%RH. Slightly less than Cattleya light.

But if this species is growing faster, I should give it a try.

9. goods

I bought C. paniculatus from LOC as a large seedling/NBS plant at the New Orleans show in June 2015, so it was in my care roughly a year before spike initiation. In comparison, I picked up a C. elatus from them at least a year prior to that. Both plants have active root tips and have for most of the time I've had them, and they both currently have 8 leaves. I'd say both had around 5 leaves when I bought them, so paniculatus has produced ~3 leaves in 13 months whereas elatus has produced about the same number in ~24+ months. Both plants are receiving identical conditions.

Your parameters are pretty close to mine except my tank only gets to about 82 in summer and will see the 60s in winter. I probably grow mine in less light as well.

10. oisifml

oisifml Active Member

Amazing! not an easy plant to keep! Let alone to get to bloom.