Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Corybas hispidus

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by seidenfaden, Jun 18, 2018.

1. seidenfaden

seidenfaden Well-Known Member

Corybas hispidus, commonly known as the bristly helmet orchid, is a species of orchid endemic to eastern Australia. It is distinguished from other helmet orchids by its autumn to winter flowering period, (Spring and Summer here in the UK) and by its tube-shaped; 20-30mm long labellum, which has a bristly-hairy, creamy-white centre and is deeply notched along its top edge. Corybas hispidus is a terrestrial, perennial, deciduous, herb with an underground tuber. It has a single dark green leaf which is more or less circular in shape, 15–35 mm long and wide and silvery-green or reddish on the lower surface.

Corybas hispidus.JPG

Attached Files:

2. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very interesting. I assume this is a temperate growing species, not tropical?

3. Gerrit

Gerrit Well-Known Member

They look lovely but very fragile...

4. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Nice growing!

5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Very nice, can you share how you grow them?

6. RustyExotics

RustyExotics - Nicholas

I absolutely love Corybas. What an amazing plant! I agree with naoki: how do you grow them?

7. seidenfaden

seidenfaden Well-Known Member

I received four small rounded tuberous corms from a friend in January this year and planted them on 11th Feb. For the compost mix I used ordinary soil mixed with some leaf debris with soil from beneath a tree (for mycorrhizal fungi) and also some very fine gravel all mixed together. Finally some slightly larger gravel to place on the top after the corms germinate. The pot stands in a 1" deep saucer to keep the plants damp but not wet The flowers appeared on Wed 13th of this month. But they seem to be going over now. I'm growing them warm with bright light.

DPfarr, weeand and naoki like this.
  8. Bernard McDonald

Bernard McDonald Member

I've re-potted the corms again today with the same mix as previous.

9. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Was there significant growth in that time?

10. Bernard McDonald

Bernard McDonald Member

I don't understand what your question refers to. My previous communication was June 19 - 2018. With regards to a request for info on culture on June 18th-2018.