Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Constantia cipoensis

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by wpinnix, Nov 12, 2016.

1. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

This is a first flowering of this species for me. I've had this for about 3 years, purchased from Andy's Orchids. For me, this is monumental. I first saw the species in Carl Withner's The Cattleyas and Their Relatives, and was enthraled. I had never seen it for sale in over 20 years (I didn't look that hard) and when I saw it on Andy's rack at the Pacific Orchid Exposition I had to try it.

I've had good success with highland Brazilian species in my cool greenhouse. As such, I probably grow this at the cool end of it's tolerance. Although there is moss underneath the plant (Andy's doing), I keep it dry and the moss has not grown. If it weren't for the root growth attached to the mount, I would either remove the moss or remount. But, I don't want to take that chance.

This plant bloomed once about 2 weeks ago, and the second flower is at it's peak now.

constantia_cipoensis.jpg constantia_cipoensis3.jpg constantia_cipoensis2.jpg

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Dang, that is nice. Good job. I have had one of these for about 18 months, also from Andy, but mine has not bloomed. I'm actually thrilled that mine is still alive and growing.

wpinnix likes this.
  3. jai

jai Orchid addict

OMG I LOVE THE BULBS!! Simply adorable. Congrates on blooming.

wpinnix likes this.
  4. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

Whoops, I spelled the name wrong. It should be Constantia cipoensis

5. Gregg Zollinger

Gregg Zollinger Active Member

Wow, what a great flower on such a small plant. I have added it to my wish list. Thanks for sharing.

wpinnix likes this.
  6. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Very nice! Great little species. I just checked and mine is in bud. Looking forward to the flowers!

wpinnix likes this.
  7. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Member

Do you still have this one? What wood do you use for mounting - I have read that it grows only on vellozia wood, and that they are almost impossible to grow. It is obvious that yours is doing very well, so please, can you help me with more cultural details?
    Thank you,
    Dana

:D "Disclaimer": I know the thread is old, but I'm new here, so everything is new for me :)

ezluckyfreee likes this.
  8. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

I still have this plant. It grows and blooms well. I'm not sure the type of wood it is mounted on, it's the same that it came with (from Andy's orchids). I grow in a cool greenhouse. I think the key is to ensure it dries rapidly after watering and good air movement.

9. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I bought my plant from Andy's about the same time. Mine is mounted the same and looks very similar to Bill's. Mine grows slow and hasn't bloomed. Bill grows cool and I grow intermediate-warm so I think growing cool is a big plus for this species. Mine developed a bud once but blasted.

Andy uses a lot of Manzanita as well as Red Shank (Adenostoma sparsifolium). My guess is that Bill's plant is on the latter.

10. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Member

Thank you very much to both of you. I will keep these advises in mind.
    I have ordered this species about a week ago, but we decided to delay the shipment due to cold weather. I will probably get it next month. Meanwhile, I'm trying to find as much information as I can. :) Not easy, because it seems there are not many people growing successfully this plant.
    :) By the way, I like a lot the red color of the mount
    How often do you fertilize it? Does it have a winter rest?

11. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

I fertilizer at least once a week. I do cut back on fertilizer in the winter because days are shorter, and I don't fertilize on rainy/dark days. I don't cut back too much on watering in the winter, just fertilizer.

12. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Member

Thank you.