Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Coelogyne tommii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Marni, Apr 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I didn't take a whole plant shot on this one. The flowers are about 2.5" wide and I usually get 3 flowers per spike.
    coel.tommii.2flr.jpg coel.tommii.close.jpg

2. John Klinger

John Klinger Active Member Supporting Member

That one I like, thanks

3. Lauren

Lauren New Member

Hi Marni,

How are you growing this? Does it get a dry rest in winter?

4. Marni

Hi Lauren, welcome to the fourm. I have grown it with year round water, in a terrestrial mix (with some powdered coconut husk) or bark mix. It has done best at 56F and 50F nights. It still did OK at 45, but pretty slow. It didn't seem particularly difficult.

5. annabanana1987

annabanana1987 Active Member

Wow it's beauty is bountiful the color contrast is great ! The burnt orange lip os very nice ! After seeing a lot of posts lately about temperature and culture is that a factor in yours defined contrasts?

6. annabanana1987

annabanana1987 Active Member

Giving the plant a dramatic drop in temp ?

7. Lauren

Lauren New Member

Thanks, Marni!
    I just acquired one from last night's POS meeting, and am trying to decide whether it would prefer being indoors, where night temp is about 62, or outdoors in SF, which it sounds like it wouldn't like quite as much as mid-50s.

8. Marni

Because of the way my greenhouses are controlled, all of my plants get a definite day night difference.

Lauren, it is hard to say. Because I live in Santa Rosa, day time temperatures are much warmer than in San Francisco (where I grew up and still remember summer as the season for blowing fog and sand) and that can also make a difference as to how a plant reacts to cool nights. I was going to suggest checking the elevation, but a quick look with google gave me little information other than "Sumatra?" You could try it outside as things are warming now and see how it does.

9. Marni

A bit more digging around came up with a reference in Peter O'Byrne's book that it was found growing in a collection in Singapore and the origin of the plant is lost. It may have been rediscovered since publication in 2001, but if it grows in Singapore it should do fine in the house.

10. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

lovely!