Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Coelogyne schilleriana

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Chuck-NH, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

I’ve been trying to bloom this species since 2017. I realized that when I saw an old post from pcolman. He had success with it growing a little warmer and with no defined rest. That didn’t work for me, perhaps because my winters are a bit colder? This past year, it dropped its foliage in November and I kept it very dry through April with only an occasional drop or two of moisture. As the leaves started to grow, I did start to water a little more and then the buds appeared. It has now been in bloom since early June and has seen many extreme weather shifts in between…from near record heat to record cold in a matter of days and on more than one occasion! Definitely worth the wait!

35970250-1F26-48BC-B7B6-01221B13DB25.jpeg

E58C80EE-09AE-4EBC-98E3-712A0F424D5E.jpeg

2. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Adorable species and definitely worth the wait. I have tried to grow this species in the past but have not found much luck. It nice to see others figuring it out.

Chuck-NH likes this.
  3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations! I have starting to have a bit of success with it after many failures.

Chuck-NH likes this.
  4. J E

J E Jaime Escobedo

Record cold?? In June?

5. Chuck-NH

For those dates in June…and first week of July also had dramatic swing from hot to cold.

6. J E

J E Jaime Escobedo

Nevermind i see new Hampshire, still just find it hard to comprehend but i feel sorry for u freezing in summer. Uh don't forget to wear your jacket to the beach i guess.

7. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess you haven't spent much time in San Francisco. Mark Twain's comment was "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

J E likes this.
  8. J E

J E Jaime Escobedo

Nope, a decent amount in socal but otherwise I'm an east coast baby.

9. Chuck-NH

Have spent time in the Bay Area in the Summer, so agree with Marni and Mark Twain. The problem we have in New Hampshire or all of New England for that matter are the rapid changes in weather. Earlier this summer, we had 3-4 days in the 90’s F with high humidity…then we had a front come through and we had 3 days of rain with highs in the mid 40’s F. That’s a huge adjustment for humans to make and I’m sure for some of the plants as well.

J E likes this.